Slow Ethernet Speeds on Asus Router

Romanze

Sounds like it, PPPoE would usually need a username and password whereas DHCP does not.

If it were me I'd test by reconfiguring the router to a different IP range then plugging your existing network into the WAN port (assuming you have an old router to handle DHCP), set up a web server on one of your wired clients then download a large file from it over the router to see if it performed as expected without the broadband in the mix.  But that is quite involved if you haven't done it before.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Changing the IP range is as far as I could go with that. I do not have another router. Also something to note, my routers CPU is maxed out when I do a speed test.

Definitely sounds like a setting somewhere is disabling hardware NAT.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

That's what I was thinking. QoS is disabled. Not sure what else would do it? Is there a log maybe that would tell me?

This is interesting, I wonder if your model is a cut-down one?

" Level 1: CTF (Cut Through Forwarding): Software optimization technique to accelerate NAT traffic.
You may need this option if your internet provider is offer you speed above 100 mb /sec. You generally need this option if you want to achieve peak speeds especially for speed above 200 mb/sec.

Level 2: Level 1 (CTF) + FA (Flow Accelerator): Hardware NAT acceleration mechanism design for accelerating wired DHCP and Static IP connections.
You will need Flow Accelerator option to fully take advantage of internet provider’s Gigabit service is offered. "

https://routerguide.net/nat-acceleration-on-or-off/

Well mostly fixed. I looked into that Level 2 NAT Acceleration and I found that with asus routers theres issues with it. There is a firmware release that this company works on that adds more settings to the UI and helps fix this issue. I flashed it and I now get 800 down and 300 up. I found this information on snbforums.com if anyone is interested. I cannot vouch for the website though. I will look into this firmware issue more, but here are my results.

Capture3.PNG

Out of curiosity, what were the settings in that firmware that fixed it?

I cannot say for sure, but disabling this new setting called Spanning-Tree Protocol helped a lot. I am also trying to get Flow Acceleration on. Having trouble with that.

Capture4.PNG

Strange, I can't imagine why STP would make a difference but you never know as NAT acceleration is a bit of a hack.

Yea not sure. I cannot seem to get Flow Acceleration on, but I just got 1.2 GB upload speed. Up from 300 mbps. I dont even think I changed anything.

Capture5.PNG

Speedtest.net can be a bit random in itself as obviously testing Gigabit is quite heavy even on a big datacentre.

What does http://dslreports.com/speedtest show?

9 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Speedtest.net can be a bit random in itself as obviously testing Gigabit is quite heavy even on a big datacentre.

What does http://dslreports.com/speedtest show?

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/37968017

I think I am satisfied with that. A lot better then 500 down 300 up. I would say using Merlin Firmware fixed it.

That's pretty good.  It seems the limit of the router is actually preventing bufferbloat when I'd actually be concerned it hitting the CPU limit might cause latency, it clearly hasn't.