Android: Transfering Media

ahuckphin

I have personally bad experience in regards to transferring media from an Android phone to a Windows computers even though I'm using good quality Aukey cables.

When copying the Camera folder (contained within DCIM folder) in Windows Explorer, I know exactly what's being copies but the copying process takes a really long time. Also more recently, I've experienced that on a Windows 10 computer with a SATA 3 SSD, my disk usage would get up to 100% while trying to transfer media using this method even though not much copying is taking place.

When using the Photos application bundled with Windows 10, the total number of media (photos and videos) is always more than what is actually in the Camera folder regardless of whether in 'Transfer files' or 'Transfer photos (PTP)' mode. Thought media are transfer much faster.

Is there a reason for this weird behaviours and is there a better way to transfer media out of an Android phone?

5 minutes ago, bindydad123 said:

I have personally bad experience in regards to transferring media from an Android phone to a Windows computers even though I'm using good quality Aukey cables.

When copying the Camera folder (contained within DCIM folder) in Windows Explorer, I know exactly what's being copies but the copying process takes a really long time. Also more recently, I've experienced that on a Windows 10 computer with a SATA 3 SSD, my disk usage would get up to 100% while trying to transfer media using this method even though not much copying is taking place.

When using the Photos application bundled with Windows 10, the total number of media (photos and videos) is always more than what is actually in the Camera folder regardless of whether in 'Transfer files' or 'Transfer photos (PTP)' mode. Thought media are transfer much faster.

Is there a reason for this weird behaviours and is there a better way to transfer media out of an Android phone?

I say you should try setting usb connection mode to storage device and try copying files like you'd do from a USB stick. BTW how old is your phone?

13 minutes ago, The_Tron said:

I say you should try setting usb connection mode to storage device and try copying files like you'd do from a USB stick. BTW how old is your phone?

Well I've had issues transferring media notable on three different Android devices: 2015 Nexus 5X (Android 6 & 7), 2013 Nexus 5 (Android 6) and 2018 Nokia 1 (Android 8 Go)

For the Nokia 1, could my problems be caused by SDHC Kingston 16GB micro SD card which isn't really fast?

12 minutes ago, bindydad123 said:

For the Nokia 1, could my problems be caused by SDHC Kingston 16GB micro SD card which isn't really fast?

Yes, and for old phones, an old connecter. My old Sony Ericsson U1i Satio has an old interface, so USB 2.0 speeds are what I deal with when I transfer photos to my PC.

Image result for sony ericsson u1i

But old/cheap (and SD cards in general) are usually very slow considering they use NAND flash. The random reads/writes needed for small files are just something SD cards' memory controllers aren't good at.

BTW an unrelated but nice video: