Galaxy S9 or iPhone? (From a Mac user's perspective)

Windows2000

Hi guys, I think I'm going to need ya'lls advice. So I ultimately decided to switch to Mac completely (yeah yeah I know but I made up my mind) but I've been a lifetime Galaxy user when it comes to smartphones. Now, the continuity features are very tempting, but I'm so invested on Android apps and the Samsung ecosystem that I'm going to have make a tradeoff if I do switch to an iPhone. I currently use the Galaxy S7 Edge and plan on getting either the S9 or the next iPhone coming this September. 

What I lose from switching:

• All app purchases on Google Play
  • Optimal Google Experience
  • Samsung Pay (I love this thing)
  • Some features from my Gear Fit 2
  • Customization 
  • Warranty (As I will be jailbreaking 100%)
  • Samsung Knox (I actually use this)
  • Freedom. Apple's walled garden...
  • Sidesync (This is Samsung's answer to Apple's continuity but it messes with ping and is no longer supported starting from the S9)

What I gain from switching:

• Apple Ecosystem/Continuity
    • I use AirDroid but its so buggy + slow extrenal SD card file management feature is not availible anymore
  • Purchasing iOS apps and getting ready for iOS apps on the Mac that's coming soon
  • iMessage
  • Timely updates
  • Better performance* (Arguibly, but I'm kinda tired of my S7 lagging here and there and the lag was unbareable before I got the Oreo update which took forever to drop.)
    • Games typically look and run better on iOS due to their custom API
    • Also, the animations looks much more smoother which makes iOS devices feel much more responisve
  • Better AR capabilities
  • Privacy
  • Better Accesory Support

Please keep in mind that I WILL be jailbreaking if I do indeed switch, which kind of breaks the stability of the system. However, it's a tradeoff that I'm willing to make. I ultimately want to get YOUR opinion regarding what you would do if you were in my shoes. I want to get some insight regarding other people's personal experiences and apply them to see if switching is the right choice for me. Ultimately, is the tradeoff worth it from what I'm losing? 

Thanks guys.

I produce music!

why would you jailbreak?

i would get an iphone but honestly as both are fine.

as for the performace, upgrading to the latest samsung phone will also increase perf but the a11 bionic is the best.

If you do switch, do not buy the iphone X unless you love bezels and no home button

the iphone 8 is 200$ less and it has touch ID instead of Face ID.

They both have the same processor.

Just now, Firewrath9 said:

why would you jailbreak?

i would get an iphone but honestly as both are fine.

as for the performace, upgrading to the latest samsung phone will also increase perf but the a11 bionic is the best.

If you do switch, do not buy the iphone X unless you love bezels and no home button

the iphone 8 is 200$ less and it has touch ID instead of Face ID.

They both have the same processor.

I think I would get frustrated if I don't customize the device to a certain point. That's why I want to jailbreak. You can do basic customization on any Android device these days without needing to root. For iPhones, that's not the case.

I produce music!

Just now, Windows2000 said:

I think I would get frustrated if I don't customize the device to a certain point. That's why I want to jailbreak. You can do basic customization on any Android device these days without needing to root. For iPhones, that's not the case.

then i think that a android phone would be better. I do not reccomend Jailbreaking as it ios updates and stuff becomes annoying.

I like macOS, it is just a great OS. I would use it all the time, but hackintosh support is less than ideal on my laptop (Keyboard and trackpad drivers will crash if I look at them wrong), and I cannot afford a new laptop, plus it will not have 200Wh's worth of batteries and WLAN card (2 things I ADORE about my Elitebook 8470P)

I currently have an iPhone 6s, because my beloved LG G4 is pretty dead at this point. I don't like iOS; it's not bad, but it's not my cup of tea; there are so many small things I really miss from android, or just hate about iOS (and I will go back to android, once the iPhone is sold):

• Double tap to wake
  • Back Button (Don't get me wrong, the swipe to back that most apps have is great, just not every page on apps that have it have it, and not all apps have it altogether. Ugh!), the keyboard options is not great; 
    • No vibration on touch
    • 3rd party keyboards are just reskinned stock keyboards (I really miss the android Gboard)
      • Because of that, your favourite android keyboard will not act the same way on iOS
      • You cannot send gifs or stickers through the keyboard (It will just copy it to your clipboard)
    • iOS for no reason whatsoever will just change the keyboard to the stock keyboard
  • Youtube app is nowhere near as good
    • The screen will not reorientate when rotation is locked
    • There is no speed controls, and I like to watch youtube videos at 1.25x to 2x speed
  • Telegram on iOS is just shit
  • Taking a screenshot on iOS is hard work. You will most likely just open Siri instead of taking a screenshot.
  • There is no icons on the top of your screen to remind you that you have notifications/messages - I tend to just finish what I am doing on the phone, and look up the top to see if I have notifications, and if I don't, I will do something else.
  • The mail app on iOS on iOS is so un-ergonomic to delete. You cannot swipe to delete, that just "archives" it (which just means not show it on that screen).

@Comic_Sans_MS But my quesiton is, is continuity just that great to give up what Android offers? I think I can try and get back some features through jailbreaking and if all hope is lost, I can always just sell it and get a Galaxy.

I produce music!

Why are you limiting yourself to just the Galaxy S9? I can assure you that performance isn't a global Android issue. Since you're already an Android user, I think it would be better to choose another Android device instead of locking yourself down to the Apple ecosystem. I think it's better to have more options in the future, but that's of course up to you!

OnePlus' devices are solid alternatives to an S9 at a lower price, or you could wait for the Pixel 3. Both devices will offer great performance and they offer unlockable bootloaders, so you can customize them as much as you want, and even get back some of the continuity features you'll be losing from Samsung's software. Plus, the Pixel is about on par with iPhones as far as updates are concerned.

2 hours ago, Windows2000 said:

@Comic_Sans_MS But my quesiton is, is continuity just that great to give up what Android offers? I think I can try and get back some features through jailbreaking and if all hope is lost, I can always just sell it and get a Galaxy.

I sold my iPhone last night (For more than what I bought it for, Yay). It wasn't an experience for me.

iOS has it's caveats, just as android does. As a friend of mine said about a day after I bought the phone:

You quickly realise a lot of things in iOS are shit

Everything is shit it’s just about picking what hurts less

You can switch between iOS and android if you want, I cannot say if it works better for you or not.

34 minutes ago, chrismin1302 said:

Plus, the Pixel is about on par with iPhones as far as updates are concerned.

Keep in mind, Pixel's firmware updates are the reason why some pixel 1's have non functioning mouth-pieces.

On 8/29/2018 at 7:52 AM, Windows2000 said:

Better performance* (Arguibly, but I'm kinda tired of my S7 lagging here and there and the lag was unbareable before I got the Oreo update which took forever to drop.)

what have you done? my s6 is still running very smooth, 

too many apps? factory reset yet?

Basically any apple function is pay to use, but with android you can use all the extra functions for free somehow.

and Apple every phone still has camera bump that cant lay flat

6 hours ago, chrismin1302 said:

Why are you limiting yourself to just the Galaxy S9? I can assure you that performance isn't a global Android issue. Since you're already an Android user, I think it would be better to choose another Android device instead of locking yourself down to the Apple ecosystem. I think it's better to have more options in the future, but that's of course up to you!

OnePlus' devices are solid alternatives to an S9 at a lower price, or you could wait for the Pixel 3. Both devices will offer great performance and they offer unlockable bootloaders, so you can customize them as much as you want, and even get back some of the continuity features you'll be losing from Samsung's software. Plus, the Pixel is about on par with iPhones as far as updates are concerned.

I'm invested in the Samsung ecosystem. Also, their UI just makes much more sense to me since I've been using their phones forever. It's a preference thing. (Also, MST transactions for Samsung Pay!)

I produce music!

5 hours ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

what have you done? my s6 is still running very smooth, 

too many apps? factory reset yet?

Basically any apple function is pay to use, but with android you can use all the extra functions for free somehow.

and Apple every phone still has camera bump that cant lay flat

I didn't want to factory reset but my phone works fine now after the Oreo update. And If you put a case on your phone, does the bump even matter?

I produce music!