This PSU enough?

Rich Armstrong

Hi guys, My new build is as follows, samsung 120 gb evo, a 4770K, a maximus vi formula, 4 gb of ram (will upgrade to 16 at least), a gtx 545 and all of this inside a 350D. Would the Corsair 500W be enough to power this system? thanks for your help in advance :)

"Be excellent to one another" Bill and Ted

"How many people have died waiting for their Savour" Nick Arthur of Molotov Solution

Yes, but why that gpu? 

[spoiler=CORMAC]CPU:Intel celeron 1.6ghz RAM:Kingston 400mhz 1.99gb MOBO:MSI G31TM-P21 GPU:Will add one later on! CASE:local ROUTER D-Link 2750U, D-LINK 2730U MOUSE:HP,DELL,ViP KEYBOARD: v7 SPEAKERS:Creative 245  MONITOR:AOC E970Sw HEADSET: Sony MDRx05s UPS:conex ups avr 500va PSU:idk OD:Samsung super writemaster STORAGE:80 gb seagate+ Seagate 1TB OS:Windows xp sp3 themed to Windows 7 + Linux |Rest all pc in my house will be updated from time-time

COMING SOON

You should get a new GPU soon, too.500W is fine for now.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

A decent 300w psu would already be plenty.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Yes, but why that gpu? 

Because i have it in a current computer that i will no longer use. I intend to get this system built, then when i have the money upgrade to a 700 watt psu and buy a 780 when the new line of cards are out and they are a lot cheaper :)

"How many people have died waiting for their Savour" Nick Arthur of Molotov Solution

A decent 300w psu would already be plenty.

I'd rather have a bit of headroom rather than have to worry though

I'd rather have a bit of headroom rather than have to worry though

A decent seasonic 300w has quite more than just a bit of headroom.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

A decent seasonic 300w has quite more than just a bit of headroom.

I do want to upgrade a lot of components in this build, one of these if the gpu. A 780 on a 300 w wont have any.

I do want to upgrade a lot of components in this build, one of these if the gpu. A 780 on a 300 w wont have any.

There's no point in getting something for "headroom", when you are going to be replacing it with a 700w when you get a 780 (which you can do on a quality 550w or even a quality 450w). The system you proposed in the opening post can indeed be power with a 300w PSU. Since the CX430v3 is rather inexpensive and in the same price range as some of the 300-350w units, I would get that instead of the Corsair 500w, unless of course, you already got it from your previous rig.

500W is way more than enough got a GTX 545, and enough for a GTX 780. Never go off the "recommended PSU wattage" for video cards because it's always a high number so that the company can cover their own asses and not have to deal with customer complaints, since a lot good chunk of ignorant customers buy crappy and cheap "high wattage" power supplies that have terrible efficiency and cannot stably output the kind of power they say.