Storage Question

WickedStarfish

So i'm looking at moving my ps4 back into my own room to which i will want to add a HDD for extra storage, my question is can i get a desktop HDD and split the HDD to use half the storage for my Xbox and the other half for my PS4?

If the PS4 can pick up network shares, sure (not sure if it can though). You won't be able to connect it to both the PC and PS4 and use it at the same time through cables.

Just now, Oshino Shinobu said:

If the PS4 can pick up network shares, sure (not sure if it can though). You won't be able to connect it to both the PC and PS4 and use it at the same time through cables.

so through a network is the only way that would be possible

1 minute ago, WickedStarfish said:

so through a network is the only way that would be possible

If you wish to use them at the same time, yes. You'd put it in the PC, share a portion of it and use the shared portion on the PS4. 

You could technically put it in an external drive bay and plug it in to the one you want to use at the time, but you could only use it with one device at a time. Even if you have it connected to eSata on the PC and USB on the PS4, you can only have it actively connected to one device at a time. 

44 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

If you wish to use them at the same time, yes. You'd put it in the PC, share a portion of it and use the shared portion on the PS4. 

You could technically put it in an external drive bay and plug it in to the one you want to use at the time, but you could only use it with one device at a time. Even if you have it connected to eSata on the PC and USB on the PS4, you can only have it actively connected to one device at a time. 

not only that but both the pc and the ps4 want to format the whole drive and not a part like a partition.

so then it has to be wiped every time and i don't think you want that.

Positive Mental Additude!

Just another Tired IT guy...