Input lag?

GiantEvilPig

It seems like when ever I install a steam game my laptop has a massive wave of dreadful input lag. Even though steam is only using 10% of the CPU.

Just now, GiantEvilPig said:

It seems like when ever I install a steam game my laptop has a massive wave of dreadful input lag. Even though steam is only using 10% of the CPU.

It is not mouse input lag but any key on the keyboard has about 1 second literately of lag.

35 minutes ago, GiantEvilPig said:

This would most likely be your drive you're using for both the game installation, which is probably a HDD being at 100% usage because your hard drive has to write your game files and THEN what you want to load next (whatever you clicked on) hence the input lag.

Edit:

Open up task manager if you are on windows (if not some other program that can measure drive usage) to check this is the case.

i7 8700k 5.0GHz 4.0Ghz Cache (Stock Cooler)

2x8GB 3400mhz RAM 19-19-19-38

GTX 1060 3GB 2050Mhz Core, 9500Mhz Memory

11 minutes ago, TechMasterMind said:

This would most likely be your drive you're using for both the game installation, which is probably a HDD being at 100% usage because your hard drive has to write your game files and THEN what you want to load next (whatever you clicked on) hence the input lag.

Edit:

Open up task manager if you are on windows (if not some other program that can measure drive usage) to check this is the case.

I am using an SSD and the game is being written to an external SSD

1 minute ago, GiantEvilPig said:

I am using an SSD and the game is being written to an external SSD

Well if it's external what interface are you using? USB 2.0, 3.0?

13 minutes ago, TechMasterMind said:

Well if it's external what interface are you using? USB 2.0, 3.0?

USB C

You know all this information would've been useful earlier...

OK well is there anything else you could tell me? Like is it the mouse on the desktop that's having issues? Are you playing an online steam game? What's your overall RAM, CPU, GPU etc. usage when you're in the programs you're experiencing the input lag?

Some of your resources is being pinned to 100% or close to it. Thats technically not real input lag. Its just normal thing for PCs. It might be RAM or pagefile which is causing this as they buffer downloaded files to be moved/installed on external drive. Does the same happen if you install on internal drive?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 8/20/2018 at 12:58 PM, TechMasterMind said:

You know all this information would've been useful earlier...

OK well is there anything else you could tell me? Like is it the mouse on the desktop that's having issues? Are you playing an online steam game? What's your overall RAM, CPU, GPU etc. usage when you're in the programs you're experiencing the input lag?

The mouse is not the problem, it is the keyboard. I am not playing games, 8gb ram, I5 8250u, UHD 620, just 1-2 tabs of chrome