Forum lag, and things of the sort.

ZipZip

Does the server hosting this forum work like a server hosting a game? such as will people who are on the other side of the world have slower loading times for pages? I have been experiencing slow loading but I thought it may be due to it being a beta build. just wondering.

From what I can understand it's hosted either at Linus' house or more likely at an NCIX store/where Linus work's. The lag can be due to a number of things from other local traffic on the servers network to mass amounts of users online. If Linus or Slick do see this post I would strongly recommend disabling the custom profile layout system. One set of hex codes for each user will chew through space with 5000+ members.

It's going to load slower if you're across the globe like any other website, the thing which will really hamper the website is the burst upload speed available which would seem to be a maximum of either 5mbps (500KB/s roughly) or 15mbps (1.5MB/s roughly) if he's on the most expensive plan.

It does seems to be coping with the demand so far.

A 12 seconds load time (what I get from eastern Europe) could be acceptable for a "beta" version of the forum, but not for the "final" forum :)

Hopefully this will be solved when they move the website to professional hosting.

"One is glad to be of service"