Most likely need new upgrade but dk where to start

toine112

Hi everyone,

First time posting on this forum and I need a bit of help from you guys.
My rig is kinda weird and outdated (sort-of) & I don't really know what should I upgrade at this point in time.

Here's my rig

MB Gigabyte Z87-HD3 (LGA 1150)
CPU i5 4670K
GPU RX 480 4GB
ram 8GB Kingston DDR3
psu Silent Cooler Master 550w Gold+
Case Fractal R5

Cheers!

What do you need it to do that it's not doing now? 

Not sure it's worth telling you to upgrade the CPU (which would mean mobo and ram also) if it's not going to really help for how much $ that would cost.

I don't imagine you're doing any 4K gaming since you bought the 4GB version of your GPU so unless your game is heavily CPU using I imagine that should game 1080p like a champ and ok at most 1440p (with some settings turned down).   (I have the 8GB RX 480).

3 minutes ago, LogicWeasel said:

What do you need it to do that it's not doing now? 

Not sure it's worth telling you to upgrade the CPU (which would mean mobo and ram also) if it's not going to really help for how much $ that would cost.

I don't imagine you're doing any 4K gaming since you bought the 4GB version of your GPU so unless your game is heavily CPU using I imagine that should game 1080p like a champ and ok at most 1440p (with some settings turned down).   (I have the 8GB RX 480).

I mostly play League and CS:GO most of the time but I don't know I think the ram really has been an issue & League has been deteriorating fps-wise lately aswell.

My main thought was to upgrade cpu-mobo-ram but it most likely cost over 600 $ since I want 16gb of DDR4.

4 minutes ago, LogicWeasel said:

I agree it doesn't seem like you need to. If you really want more FPS in games, I would recommend upgrading the GPU to something like a GTX 1070, but you could also wait until the next load of graphics cards gets released because they will have much better FPS for your money. You could also overclock your CPU if you haven't already.

2 minutes ago, toine112 said:

I mostly play League and CS:GO most of the time but I don't know I think the ram really has been an issue & League

Your current setup will have no issue with running those games, if there are any issues with it, its likely its software.

4 minutes ago, Overlandr said:

Your current setup will have no issue with running those games, if there are any issues with it, its likely its software.

My motherboard really is not liking the whole OC thing - it's very limited (or maybe I'm doing something wrong)

I agree with previous comments, unless you are jumping to a high-end Core i9 x299 or thread ripper build, you will not notice a huge improvement by going to a later Intel i5 or i7.

The titles you mentioned are not that graphically intensive either.  

If the system is acting funny, backup your data and reinstall windows (i.e. start fresh) should resolve any issues your having.