what's the advantage of debian?

what's the advantage of running Debian over something based on it like Ubuntu?

She/Her

Debian is known for stability and long term support. That's why so many things are based off of it.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please聽馃え

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

32 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Debian is known for stability and long term support. That's why so many things are based off of it.

but is there any advantage to just running debian? not something based on it...?

She/Her

29 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

but is there any advantage to just running debian? not something based on it...?

Yes, as I said it's usually more stable. Some things are lost in derivatives.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

Yes, as I said it's usually more stable. Some things are lost in derivatives.

oh okay. is it compatible with everything Ubuntu is compatible with?聽

She/Her

7 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

oh okay. is it compatible with everything Ubuntu is compatible with?聽

Mostly, yes.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

15 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Mostly, yes.

ok, i'll try it. the reason i use linux is stability. the more stable the better.聽

She/Her

It's stable. Or as I call it, outdated.

I tried Debian once and I kept getting kernel panics and crashes, but maybe I just messed up my Debian install in some really weird way. Either way, I haven't gone back to it after that one bad experience.聽 Literally no stability issues on Arch Linux, been using it for nearly 2 years now- the memes that it's unstable are completely untrue, and it's on the bleeding edge so you have the most up to date packages. The Arch User Repository is also better than anything else I've used on any other distro. If you're just running a server or doing basic computing and follow the never update software meme, I'm sure Debian will be fine for you though. I'd recommend a systemd free distro like Devuan if you're a hater of Pottering's work.

8 minutes ago, EPENEX said:

It's stable. Or as I call it, outdated.

I tried Debian once and I kept getting kernel panics and crashes, but maybe I just messed up my Debian install in some really weird way. Either way, I haven't gone back to it after that one bad experience.聽 Literally no stability issues on Arch Linux, been using it for nearly 2 years now- the memes that it's unstable are completely untrue, and it's on the bleeding edge so you have the most up to date packages. The Arch User Repository is also better than anything else I've used on any other distro. If you're just running a server or doing basic computing and follow the never update software meme, I'm sure Debian will be fine for you though. I'd recommend a systemd free distro like Devuan if you're a hater of Pottering's work.

well i would use Ubuntu but i don't like it. i hate the software center and stuff... i don't like Arch either, or the AUR. it's a good idea, but sitting there compiling an outdated version of spotify... i'd rather use a repository updated by spotify itself...聽

my perfect distro is a vanilla gnome install with no stupid extensions installed by default... if you know of one please tell me..聽

She/Her

47 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

well i would use Ubuntu but i don't like it. i hate the software center and stuff

Maybe try a derivative of Ubuntu such as Xubuntu or my personal favourite to recommend ubuntu budgie.

48 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

my perfect distro is a vanilla gnome install with no stupid extensions installed by default... if you know of one please tell me..聽

How about installing ubuntu server and then installing a GUI on to it such as Gnome? Fedora is also great for a Gnome experience that just werks.

Add me on Discord Epictek#6136