pci-e passthrough affecting fps

so i finally got pci-e passthrough to work, but there's a problem. 

i'm using an RX460, and on low settings on Overwatch at 1080p it sometimes dips into the 30's when a lot is happening on screen. 

the VM has 6 core's and 12 threads allocated to it, so i don't think that's the problem. 

the gpu is connected through one of those pci-e X1 to X16 adaptor, i don't know if that has something to do with it. 

She/Her

9 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

pci-e X1 to X16 adaptor

I'm not an expert, but it probably has to do with the adaptor. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't those things often used in Ethereum mining? There the data transfer is small so you don't need 16x.

21 minutes ago, MatteoX10 said:

I'm not an expert, but it probably has to do with the adaptor. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't those things often used in Ethereum mining? There the data transfer is small so you don't need 16x.

yeah they are mining adaptors. so this is just unfixable unless i get a new mobo with 2 X16 slots?

She/Her

10 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

yeah they are mining adaptors. so this is just unfixable unless i get a new mobo with 2 X16 slots?

Probably because you need the full bandwidth.

1 minute ago, wojtepanik said:

yeah it sounds like bandwidth issues, what did you expect ?

i expected it to work because i tired gaming with this adaptor and this card before, but that was native on Windows. 

3 minutes ago, wojtepanik said:

lul

how to sound stupid 101

10 minutes ago, MatteoX10 said:

Probably because you need the full bandwidth.

yeah i was afraid of that... well it doesn't seem to be as bad in capture the flag for some reason... only quick play.. 

is there any way i can verify that it is a bandwidth bottleneck? because motherboards that support dual Xeon's and have 2 or more X16 slots are rare and quite expensive.... i don't want to waste money. 

She/Her

5 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

i expected it to work because i tired gaming with this adaptor and this card before, but that was native on Windows. 

how to sound stupid 101

yeah i was afraid of that... well it doesn't seem to be as bad in capture the flag for some reason... only quick play.. 

is there any way i can verify that it is a bandwidth bottleneck? because motherboards that support dual Xeon's and have 2 or more X16 slots are rare and quite expensive.... i don't want to waste money. 

old benchmark with old cards, but the results speak for themself 

http://arstech.com/install/cms-display/ste_spdtst1.html

image.thumb.png.0ab554862a4f40837e45cfb709652a1e.png

It's like putting a USB 3.0 stick in a usb 2.0 port, you don't get the same speed.

4 minutes ago, wojtepanik said:

old benchmark with old cards, but the results speak for themself 

thanks for providing those, i'll have to go look for a new mobo i guess. 

1 minute ago, MatteoX10 said:

It's like putting a USB 3.0 stick in a usb 2.0 port, you don't get the same speed.

i knew that. thanks anyway :) 

She/Her

1 minute ago, MatteoX10 said:

wrong socket. that's 771, and i need 1366

https://ark.intel.com/products/47922/Intel-Xeon-Processor-X5650-12M-Cache-2_66-GHz-6_40-GTs-Intel-QPI

massive thanks for looking though :) 

She/Her

28 minutes ago, MatteoX10 said:

the problem with HP boards is that most of them don't support a standard ATX power supply, including this one from what i can see on the photo's... 

She/Her

18 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

the problem with HP boards is that most of them don't support a standard ATX power supply, including this one from what i can see on the photo's... 

I don't think I can find something like that, this is my first time dealing with these motherboards, sorry:(

7 minutes ago, MatteoX10 said:

I don't think I can find something like that, this is my first time dealing with these motherboards, sorry:(

no worries. server stuff can get really complex. i got lucky with my current board honestly... 

She/Her