Does the cable matter.

ManosMax13

I bought an ssd and a sata cable.However the data cable did not mention the speed that it can transfer.Does that matter will my ssd work as it should.

It does not matter which you use. SATA is standard. The only difference might be the slot speed, since there can be difference versions of SATA ports on the mobo SATA I, II, III. So in that in mind you would like the device to be set to the fastest port it can handle.

the cable works with any SATA port

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

28 minutes ago, ManosMax13 said:

I bought an ssd and a sata cable.However the data cable did not mention the speed that it can transfer.Does that matter will my ssd work as it should.

As we are talking about speeds, potentially: yes. Physically, a 2.5" SSD and any sata cable will work. HOWEVER, as older standards of SATA had lower bandwidths, a SATA or SATA 2 cable could theoretically limit performance. The likelihood of you finding a SATA or SATA 2 cable by going out and buying one new without looking for it are very slim however, as SATA 3(or 6, if you wanna go by the theoretical bandwith) has been the norm for years now.

edit: It's like trying to get USB 3.1 Gen2 speeds using a USB 2 or USB 1 cable and a USB 3.1 Gen2 port. It's physically compatable, but not from a bandwith standpoint.

On 7/8/2018 at 7:29 PM, BluJay614 said:

As we are talking about speeds, potentially: yes. Physically, a 2.5" SSD and any sata cable will work. HOWEVER, as older standards of SATA had lower bandwidths, a SATA or SATA 2 cable could theoretically limit performance. The likelihood of you finding a SATA or SATA 2 cable by going out and buying one new without looking for it are very slim however, as SATA 3(or 6, if you wanna go by the theoretical bandwith) has been the norm for years now.

edit: It's like trying to get USB 3.1 Gen2 speeds using a USB 2 or USB 1 cable and a USB 3.1 Gen2 port. It's physically compatable, but not from a bandwith standpoint.

There is no cable that can only do SATA1 or SATA2 speeds. The newer SATA versions did not change anything about the cable, so even a data cable manufactured years before SATA2 or SATA3 were developed would fully support those higher speeds.

Hello ManosMax13,

The full 3.0 standard was released on May 27, 2009 and by that time 99% of the computers were using SATA already and since then all manufacturers adopted this new release/revision of the standard, you can check more about the SATA speeds here: 7.2 Comparison with other buses

I really doubt you can find one out dated cable that transfers at SATA 2 rates (3Gb/s), the SATA 3 standard as mentioned earlier is what has been used for years now.

Image result for SATA 2 cable

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

Folks

I have the SATA 3 cable but a benchmarking program indicated that I had it plugged into a SATA 2 slot. I have an ASUS M5A88-M motherboard but cannot find anythning in the manual that indicates the SATA Slots are 2 or 3?  How can I tell. Help. Newbie to mucking around with computers.

Regards

ArcadiaBlue1

22 hours ago, seagate_surfer said:

Hello ManosMax13,

The full 3.0 standard was released on May 27, 2009 and by that time 99% of the computers were using SATA already and since then all manufacturers adopted this new release/revision of the standard, you can check more about the SATA speeds here: 7.2 Comparison with other buses

I really doubt you can find one out dated cable that transfers at SATA 2 rates (3Gb/s), the SATA 3 standard as mentioned earlier is what has been used for years now.

Please stop this misinformation. There is NO DIFFERENCE to SATA cables in terms of speeds supported - the only change they ever made to the spec was to add that little clip to hold the cable on the port.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/SATA-cables-Is-there-a-difference-97/

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/SATA-3Gb-s-vs-6Gb-s-Cable-Performance-Revisited-183/

Spoiler

On 8/10/2018 at 6:48 AM, Sakkura said:

There is no cable that can only do SATA1 or SATA2 speeds. The newer SATA versions did not change anything about the cable, so even a data cable manufactured years before SATA2 or SATA3 were developed would fully support those higher speeds.

On 8/10/2018 at 2:32 PM, seagate_surfer said:

Hello ManosMax13,

5 hours ago, Sakkura said:

Please stop this misinformation. There is NO DIFFERENCE to SATA cables in terms of speeds supported - the only change they ever made to the spec was to add that little clip to hold the cable on the port.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/SATA-cables-Is-there-a-difference-97/

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/SATA-3Gb-s-vs-6Gb-s-Cable-Performance-Revisited-183/

Reveal hidden contents

@SakkuraYou need to understand something: Just because in everyday workloads, there is no, or negligible difference between the two standards, does not mean that there is not a difference between the two. If, for whatever reason, you had a device that COULD max out the THEORETICAL bandwith of SATAIII(6Gb/s), and where opperating under a workload where it would do so, and you swapped the cable for one following the older SATAII(3Gb/s) standard, then you would encounter a bottle neck. This case is not only highly unlikely, and rather extreme, but it is there none the less. It's like the difference between USB 3.0(or 3.1 Gen1 if you prefer to call it that) and USB 3.1 (Gen2), or even the theoretical data transfer speed for Thunderbolt 3 (40Gb/s). You will probably never notice the difference, as pretty much nothing used solely for data transfer and uses those standards will have the issue of running out of bandwith. There is a difference between theoretical limitations, and what someone might run into in an average work load in a real world scenario. So, please, before you go calling people liers just because they are talking about theoretical limitations, and you are talking about real world and average workloads, think about the information that's being given, and explain your standpoint and why you are making your claims.