Front panel distorted only when using realtek drivers

Xgm541

Build link : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/q7t2bX

Today I was troubleshooting an issue with my front panel on my new build. The case is an FD Define R6. The USB wasnt working. I reseated all the connectors and it fixed the issue. Later, I plugged my headphones back into the front panel and they were very low, could barely hear anything even at full volume. I didn't install the motherboard audio drivers up until this point. I've had this build for about a week. I decided to install the motherboard drivers from the ASRock website. 

Here's the issue:

When realtek drivers from the website are installed, my headphones experience extreme audio distortion. It's very similar to if a cable on headphones would be going bad. The distortion happens only if I have a device plugged in the back and headphones in the front. 

Here's what I've done so far:

-    checked the motherboard  front panel HD audio connection. Reseated the header. 

-    Unplugged all other front panel headers for USB in case it was causing noise. 

-    Rerouted the HD audio cable in case it was touching anything and causing noise. 

-    Used different headphones, and a different speaker on the back. Checked that my current headphones work on other devices.

-    Reinstalled windows entirely. 

-    Plugged PC directly into wall instead of surge protector in case grounding was an issue (I have a server grade surge protector anyway, so that shouldnt be a problem...) 

-    I am not OCed. I read that could cause issues like mine, but it doesnt seem to appy to me. 

**I'm not sure what happened. Could my mobo be going bad? **

P.S. - a friend got the same exact build, minus GPU, and his front audio panel works fine with realtek drivers.