Fan RPM spiking?

Koshigaya

This has been going on for awhile now and I think either my GPU or my PSU are dying. Ever few seconds I'll hear a rumbling noise coming from the GPU, and the fans on the GPU will spin up then back down. The RPMs are shoo ting from 0 to the 900s. If you look at the fan tachometer you can see it spiking. The fans aren't supposed to be spinning at all when not under a load. Any idea what could be the issue?5b667f0db684a_FanRPM.png.2dda170524d775bd61511ab0b1ab33a4.png

900rpm isn't bad at all... my gpu idles at 1200rpm. You are using a very old version of msi afterburner, so it's hard to read. I would say that it's your psu fan spinning because 900rpm is literally nothing.

1 minute ago, Rallenhayestime said:

900rpm isn't bad at all... my gpu idles at 1200rpm. You are using a very old version of msi afterburner, so it's hard to read. I would say that it's your psu fan spinning because 900rpm is literally nothing.

Huh? I know 900rpm isn't bad. And this is a reading for the GPU, not PSU. What is bad though is that it spikes from 0 -> 900~ -> 0 -> 900~ constantly, and very rapidly. It's not supposed to do that.

This is the latest version of afterburner, I just prefer the old skin.

31 minutes ago, Rallenhayestime said:

Try setting fan speed to 25% and post a pic of the tacho then.

Setting it to 25% stops the spiking and it's RPMs are consistent. But it shouldn't be spiking at all.

That's what I was getting at. Try this. Watch the auto fan speed and you'll see the rpms spike while the auto fan speed rises. That's just how gpus keep cool.

It's not supposed to spike like that lol. It spins up then instantly stops, and spins right back up and instantly stops again.

What's the temp and what is it doing? 

if not already done so, can you reset to factory defaults and let us know what the fan is doing then ? 

AMD 5900x, 2x16GB ( G.skill F4-3600C16 ), Radeon VII, Radeon 570,  Corsair 1200i , SSD 240/500GB, HDD 640GB,1TB,5TB, 1TB NVME. Lian li 011Dyanmic XL, big ass LTT mouse-pad & stealth water bottle