Home Server Build,

Hi guys, what would you build for $650-$800 AUD For a Home Server, this sever is going to run a Arma 3 Exile Server and also a Teamspeak 3 Server plus room to expand.

Motherboard: ASUS Prime A320M-A
CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 5 2600
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury  8GB
Storage: SSD 120GB,  Western Digital  1TB
Power Supply: Corsair VS550 550W Power Supply
Case: Cougar MX330 Windowed Mid-Tower Case

7492901390.png

You are probably gonna want a basic GPU so you can set it up, or use a 2400g or an intel processor, it would be good to figure out what is the hardware reqs for a Arma server, but most game server doesnt require much on the cpu.

6 minutes ago, Snipergod87 said:

You are probably gonna want a basic GPU so you can set it up, or use a 2400g or an intel processor, it would be good to figure out what is the hardware reqs for a Arma server, but most game server doesnt require much on the cpu.

We hosted an A3 server last night and it uses quite a bit of CPU, It was maxed on a dual-core @ 3.20 GHz but the RAM never went over 2 GB
It also seems to use a fair bit of bandwidth, 12 players online used a steady 10 Mbit (1250 KB/s) outbound but inbound was next to nothing.

Honestly - for $650-$800 you might be renting just a small virtual server - that way when it's boring a year you can just bin it :)

4 minutes ago, ViscountStyx said:

Honestly - for $650-$800 you might be renting just a small virtual server - that way when it's boring a year you can just bin it :)

currently renting a VPS but its host node has noisy neighbors our performance is horrible, would consider Colocating this hardware if the servers got popular i just want to build this rig for something to spend my spare time messing around with

Just now, Mullens-Servers said:

currently renting a VPS but its host node has noisy neighbors our performance is horrible, would consider Colocating this hardware if the servers got popular i just want to build this rig for something to spend my spare time messing around with

Sorry to hear.  I work for a server hosting company so I feel your pain - but none of our servers, virtualised or otherwise share resources at a level that would cause noisy neighbours like that - just sounds like you have a bad hosting company.  If it's not too personal, how much is the server p/m atm?  Just looking to compare costs in AUS with the UK

I would get a Ryzen 5 1600 and either get more ram or a GPU.

hi.

2 minutes ago, ViscountStyx said:

Sorry to hear.  I work for a server hosting company so I feel your pain - but none of our servers, virtualised or otherwise share resources at a level that would cause noisy neighbours like that - just sounds like you have a bad hosting company.  If it's not too personal, how much is the server p/m atm?  Just looking to compare costs in AUS with the UK

4 CPU @ 3Ghz

8GB RAM

80GB SSD

2TB Traffic

1 IP Address
(Upgradable)

100Mbit Connection
$60/AUD Month

1 minute ago, Mullens-Servers said:

4 CPU @ 3Ghz

8GB RAM

80GB SSD

2TB Traffic

1 IP Address
(Upgradable)

100Mbit Connection
$60/AUD Month

£35 is per month. That's quite pricey for a server that's having noisey neighbours! Might just be the Australian market tho. If it were fully independent that would be a good price though.

I'd say take a look at other providers offering a trial and have at it .

Esp of you don't need that much RAM. Hell maybe even AWS of they have servers down there?

6 minutes ago, CUDAcores89 said:

Well if it was me i'd go to ebay and buy an old dell or HP machine and just re purpose that into a server. You could certainly save money that way.

i want to get brand new hardware and i want to setup the server in my man cave so it looks tuff. can setup file streaming for my family this way aswell.  :D  I did consider buying a used/refurbished 1RU Server off ebay and colocating it with a datacenter

1 minute ago, ViscountStyx said:

£35 is per month. That's quite pricey for a server that's having noisey neighbours! Might just be the Australian market tho. If it were fully independent that would be a good price though.

I'd say take a look at other providers offering a trial and have at it .

Esp of you don't need that much RAM. Hell maybe even AWS of they have servers down there?

OVH < Recently Launched a location in Australia they have alright prices for dedicated machines.

OVH < Recently Launched a location in Australia they have alright prices for dedicated machines.

I used to have a couple of Dedi's with OVH - can speak for their pricing in the EU.  Don't expect support though other than hardware.

Just now, ViscountStyx said:

I used to have a couple of Dedi's with OVH - can speak for their pricing in the EU.  Don't expect support though other than hardware.

True that, makes hosting my own hardware from home feel worth it.

True that, makes hosting my own hardware from home feel worth it.

No one to swap that PSU out though for free when it breaks tho :P

7 minutes ago, ViscountStyx said:

No one to swap that PSU out though for free when it breaks tho :P

Yeh true, PSU dont cost too much though :P without the Monthly subscription depending on Power prices it might workout cheeper to run it from home than to pay for it to be hosted?

Yeh true, PSU dont cost too much though :P without the Monthly subscription depending on Power prices it might workout cheeper to run it from home than to pay for it to be hosted?

If you're having to buy parts - depends entirely on how long you plan on running it for :)

Just now, ViscountStyx said:

If you're having to buy parts - depends entirely on how long you plan on running it for :)

Im geting my tax return in a few weeks will defently be buying some hardware, i wanted it to be online 24/7 at least until its to populated for my home connection to handle then move it into a datacenter