Am I making the right choice?

living_trsh_can

okay,,,,, I was looking for a monitor and I think I've found one, although I need you to tell me that I'm making the right purchase. I'm going to buy the Dell S2716DGR 27" 2k (I'm planning on turning the res down to 1080p for my GTX graphics card) 144hz, 1ms response time with G-SYNC monitor. is this a good or bad purchase? 

If you're going to downscale to 1080p, you should probably get a 1080p monitor. It'll look better than the 1440p panel. I have this monitor and when you rescale to 1080p it looks fuzzy and not very good, particularly when sitting next to my two native 1080p monitors (much cheaper and the same physical size)

1 minute ago, Fullmental said:

If you're going to downscale to 1080p, you should probably get a 1080p monitor. It'll look better than the 1440p panel. I have this monitor and when you rescale to 1080p it looks fuzzy and not very good, particularly when sitting next to my two native 1080p monitors (much cheaper and the same physical size)

okay, but I'm not sure where to get a good monitor like this in a 1080p form. can you give me some recommendations?

6 minutes ago, living_trsh_can said:

okay, but I'm not sure where to get a good monitor like this in a 1080p form. can you give me some recommendations?

For a 27" 1080p 144Hz or better with gsync? I think the only decent option I've seen is the Acer XB272 (240Hz). It's currently on sale at Best Buy and Amazon for $500 if you're in the US. You have a lot more options in the 24" range though.

3 minutes ago, Fullmental said:

For a 27" 1080p 144Hz or better with gsync? I think the only decent option I've seen is the Acer XB272 (240Hz). It's currently on sale at Best Buy and Amazon for $500 if you're in the US. You have a lot more options in the 24" range though.

thanks but, 240hz is a little overkill for me, I'll never reach that. and I am in the US

30 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Well what graphics card do you have?

GTX 1060 Max-Q

4 hours ago, living_trsh_can said:

thanks but, 240hz is a little overkill for me, I'll never reach that. and I am in the US

You don't have to run your games at 240Hz, that's what the gsync is for. It's just literally the only current 27" 1080p gsync monitor I could find that did a minimum of 144Hz. There may be others but they weren't listed on any reputable sites I could find. Most were FreeSync instead, which won't work with your 1060-6gb. If you wanted to go down to 24" there's more options with the target refresh rate you're looking for, but then of course you have a smaller screen...

11 minutes ago, Fullmental said:

You don't have to run your games at 240Hz, that's what the gsync is for. It's just literally the only current 27" 1080p gsync monitor I could find that did a minimum of 144Hz. There may be others but they weren't listed on any reputable sites I could find. Most were FreeSync instead, which won't work with your 1060-6gb. If you wanted to go down to 24" there's more options with the target refresh rate you're looking for, but then of course you have a smaller screen...

oh my god thank you! you just ended my like 3 day search for a monitor! thanks random person, I really appreciate it. tho, there is one question. what is the natural hz? is the 240hz an overclocked version or is it natural and I can reduce it to 144hz? 

2 minutes ago, living_trsh_can said:

oh my god thank you! you just ended my like 3 day search for a monitor! thanks random person, I really appreciate it. tho, there is one question. what is the natural hz? is the 240hz an overclocked version or is it natural and I can reduce it to 144hz? 

I don't know if you can reduce it specifically to 144Hz. It may only let you do 120 instead. You'd have to ask someone that owns it.

You might be able to force a specific refresh rate, but generally speaking I don't recommend touching those settings unless you know what you're doing.

Just now, Fullmental said:

I don't know if you can reduce it specifically to 144Hz. It may let you do 120 instead. You'd have to ask someone that owns it.

You might be able to force a specific refresh rate, but generally speaking I don't recommend touching those settings unless you know what you're doing.

I'll figure it out lol, thank you tho