High ping

MikOL1030

Hello! I have a problem, i have the asus rt-ac1200g+ router which is given to me, they said router can lower gaming pings like dota, etc., but when i test the router, i checked the ping in dota2 its so freaking high like 224-280ms and i keep looking and looking on the asus router settings but i cant find any, btw i tried to search on the web and youtube, which is it didn't help, im from philippines and my current DL speed here is 2mbps, so i really dont know what to do right now to lower the ping in dota2. Thanks a lot guys

6 minutes ago, MikOL1030 said:

Hello! I have a problem, i have the asus rt-ac1200g+ router which is given to me, they said router can lower gaming pings like dota, etc., but when i test the router, i checked the ping in dota2 its so freaking high like 224-280ms and i keep looking and looking on the asus router settings but i cant find any, btw i tried to search on the web and youtube, which is it didn't help, im from philippines and my current DL speed here is 2mbps, so i really dont know what to do right now to lower the ping in dota2. Thanks a lot guys

This is what's called slow internet. If your download speed is only 2mbps, then your upload is no better, if not worse.

If possible, I would look into getting a faster internet package. Something that is at least 5mbps up and down, since that seems to be the average in the Philippines.

I legitimately feel bad since 50-75mbps is considered normal in the US... 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

43 minutes ago, MikOL1030 said:

Is there an option to specifically join Asia server? Despite having really fast connection if your latency is high due to distance then it's no use.

But certainly, having faster internet may help, but not latency really. Are you using WiFi? Moving closer to the router helps, and switching to cable connection will be even better.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

On 25 July 2018 at 10:14 PM, ZeouLs said:

You need a faster internet connection not a new router.

On 25 July 2018 at 10:28 PM, Brink2Three said:

This is what's called slow internet. If your download speed is only 2mbps, then your upload is no better, if not worse.

If possible, I would look into getting a faster internet package. Something that is at least 5mbps up and down, since that seems to be the average in the Philippines.

Thanks for the info guys.. I am really looking forward to upgrade out internet here since their offerings here is way too pricey, you'll get 34$/month for only 10mbps dsl internet, and 38$/month for fiber 20mbps, well in here its really hard to earn that kind of money, well just like i said, im looking forward to upgrade our internet, thanks again guys..

On 25 July 2018 at 10:59 PM, DimasRMDO said:

Is there an option to specifically join Asia server? Despite having really fast connection if your latency is high due to distance then it's no use.

But certainly, having faster internet may help, but not latency really. Are you using WiFi? Moving closer to the router helps, and switching to cable connection will be even better.

No, im using ethernet, i always choose SEA server on dota, but still have high ping, let me give u an update when i upgraded, thanks

On 25/07/2018 at 3:28 PM, Brink2Three said:

Only in major cities, people in trailer parks in many places are still stuck on plain DSL.

I have a friend in Texas and neither him nor his parents are able to get fast broadband and they live in different cities.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

20 hours ago, MikOL1030 said:

Thanks for the info guys.. I am really looking forward to upgrade out internet here since their offerings here is way too pricey, you'll get 34$/month for only 10mbps dsl internet, and 38$/month for fiber 20mbps, well in here its really hard to earn that kind of money, well just like i said, im looking forward to upgrade our internet, thanks again guys..

No, im using ethernet, i always choose SEA server on dota, but still have high ping, let me give u an update when i upgraded, thanks

Your high pings may also be due to un-optimal routing from your ISP or Valve. You might get better results by just switching to a different ISP (one with better peering and less congested transit links). 

On a related note, I have access to fiber internet connections from three different ISPs (two are enterprise class and the other is small business internet) and I'm getting really bad performance to eat.valve.net (192.69.96.1). And I'm in Vancouver, which is really close to Seattle. Usually pings to Seattle are 4-7ms for me (pings to Google are just 4ms). Right now, eat.valve.net is getting me between 12ms to 200ms (averages are 30ms, 56ms and 82ms across the three connections). So it looks like Valve is having network performance issues in Seattle (or at least to eat.valve.net). Two of the connections I tested from are with ISPs that have peering with Valve in Seattle, and I'm seeing normal performance of 4.5ms to the Valve's IX border router in Seattle (six1.sea.valve.net), so it could be an internal routing issue with Valve. Maybe try a different server, like Singapore. 

My Build : AMD Ryzen 9 3950X - Asus Strix X570-E - 64GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo

- Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti - 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus SSD - Corsair AX860i Power Supply