Pentium vs i7 stock cooler

bubyy
Go to solution Solved by bubyy,

For anyone wondering about the stock coolers: the Pentium and i7 stock coolers are the same. I've watched a bunch of reviews and even counted the fins by myself. So I'll most likely go ahead and buy the i7 6700 and put my current cooler on it. 

They are the same.

Hey guys. 
I am probably buying an used i7 6700 for the same price of a new i5 7500. The guy selling it is also giving his Noctua NH-D14 cooler for free, but it won't fit in my case. It's an amazing deal, literally half the price. Right now, I have a Pentium G4400 and I was wondering will its stock cooler be enough to cool the i7? If not, I should sell the D14 and get a smaller cooler, right?
Also, there is a guy selling an "unopened" i5 7600 for a lower price than the new i5 7500 and used i7. Should I maybe buy it? It most likely comes with a stock cooler too. The reason I want the i7 though, is that I want to edit videos. I know this isn't the right section to ask, but I'm not going to make two threads when I can only make one. Appreciate the help

I'd say use it for a small period of time then get a better one. Also, which case do you have?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

1 minute ago, Abdul201588 said:

I'd say use it for a small period of time then get a better one. Also, which case do you have?

Zalman T5. It's 170mm wide, the D14 is 160mm tall...

5 minutes ago, bubyy said:

Zalman T5. It's 170mm wide, the D14 is 160mm high...

The case has a CPU height of 160mm. How much are you looking to spend on a cooler? I'd recommend the CRYORIG H7

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

8 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:

The case has a CPU height of 160mm. How much are you looking to spend on a cooler? I'd recommend the CRYORIG H7

I don't know, I was thinking of selling the D14 and use the money for something smaller. Thanks for telling me about the H7, never heard of it, but it looks beefy, and it's cheaper than I expected! 

I was also thinking about mounting the D14 and keeping the sidepanel off until I sell the D14 (if it even fits lol). But the PC is going to get dusty... I'm scared that the Pentium cooler won't be enough, I'm not really sure is the i7 cooler the same as Pentium's. I saw that the i7 cooler's fins go in a spiral shape while the Pentium's just go straight.

One more thing, a guy is selling a 6700K for the same price, but he isn't giving away a cooler. Maybe I should consider buying the K and save money for an H7 so I can overclock?

2 minutes ago, bubyy said:

I don't know, I was thinking of selling the D14 and use the money for something smaller. Thanks for telling me about the H7, never heard of it, but it looks beefy, and it's cheaper than I expected! 

I was also thinking about mounting the D14 and keeping the sidepanel off until I sell the D14 (if it even fits lol). But the PC is going to get dusty... I'm scared that the Pentium cooler won't be enough, I'm not really sure is the i7 cooler the same as Pentium's. I saw that the i7 cooler's fins go in a spiral shape while the Pentium's just go straight.

One more thing, a guy is selling a 6700K for the same price, but he isn't giving away a cooler. Maybe I should consider buying the K and save money for an H7 so I can overclock?

I'd say yes. Go for the 6700K and the H7 cooler.

Are you sure it's safe to buy a used K series CPU? I've been reading stuff about this and people are saying it's 2018 and that CPUs rarely die, even the overclockable ones. The owner of the 6700K says that it's been rarely used and never overclocked. Can't trust anyone in this world though...

It doesn't matter, if it's working then it's working.

I'm not sure why you so confused about the cooler, I mean the stock cooler is adequate, ok for stock speed,however since you are going for K version and going to edit with it, why not just get one? You don't have to get the extremely expensive one

I mean I'm using the cheapest Deepcool Ice edge mini for my i7, while not the best for cooling but definitely far better than stock cooler, and it's only $10.

http://www.deepcool.com/product/cpucooler/2014-05/7_869.shtml

6 minutes ago, Blebekblebek said:

It doesn't matter, if it's working then it's working.

I'm not sure why you so confused about the cooler, I mean the stock cooler is adequate, ok for stock speed,however since you are going for K version and going to edit with it, why not just get one? You don't have to get the extremely expensive one

I mean I'm using the cheapest Deepcool Ice edge mini for my i7, while not the best for cooling but definitely far better than stock cooler, and it's only $10.

http://www.deepcool.com/product/cpucooler/2014-05/7_869.shtml

It doesn't support LGA 1151

4 minutes ago, Blebekblebek said:

What doesn't support?

The Deepcool cooler

Unless intel change the slot for the cooler I don't think it is, if it fits for 1156 it will fit for 1155, 1150, 1151.

Also, I was just using it for an example, there are many cheap cooler out there if you need it.

13 minutes ago, Blebekblebek said:

Unless intel change the slot for the cooler I don't think it is, if it fits for 1156 it will fit for 1155, 1150, 1151.

Also, I was just using it for an example, there are many cheap cooler out there if you need it.

I think I'll get a Hyper 412S from Cooler Master

Guys. I just remembered that I have a H110M board with no heatsink on the VRMs. No overclocking for me. I'll try to buy the 6700 non-K and then sell my Pentium and the Noctua cooler. Thanks everyone for the help.

For anyone wondering about the stock coolers: the Pentium and i7 stock coolers are the same. I've watched a bunch of reviews and even counted the fins by myself. So I'll most likely go ahead and buy the i7 6700 and put my current cooler on it. 

They are the same.