SSD vs hardrive?

Mullens-Servers

Hey guys this is my first post on this fourms. my pc is a few years old now specs below.

I7-2600

8GB DDR3

GTX 770

2x120GB SSD

are my CrystalDiskMark Results good? can you guys post yours here aswell so i can compare> ?

SSD%20VS%20Hardrive.png

1.png2.png3.png4.png

Here's mine, it's not great but it's alright. A single lane of PCIe v3 is 1 gigabyte/s. A NVMe SSD takes 4 lanes, so even on sequential read, we still got lots of room to go up.

Oh, keep in mind that this is in a VM, so it's not raw disk performance since there's virtio drivers and the (non-bare metal, linux KVM based) hypervisor layer.

crystaldiskmark.PNG.27ec3937ca092221dd0785485fddbbee.PNG

2 minutes ago, StackUnderflow said:

Here's mine, it's not great but it's alright. A single lane of PCIe v3 is 1 gigabyte/s. A NVMe SSD takes 4 lanes, so even on sequential read, we still got lots of room to go up.

Oh, keep in mind that this is in a VM, so it's not raw disk performance since there's virtio drivers and the hypervisor layer.

crystaldiskmark.PNG.27ec3937ca092221dd0785485fddbbee.PNG

Nice how much does one of these NVMe SSD's set you back? My Rigs quite old now and im getting my tax back in a few weeks time for abit of a upgrade :)

3 minutes ago, Mullens-Servers said:

Nice how much does one of these NVMe SSD's set you back? My Rigs quite old now and im getting my tax back in a few weeks time for abit of a upgrade :)

The rig the SSDs are in are also in a older Sandy bridge system. I got a PCIe 16x to 4x4x4x4x NVMe adapter (not all mobos support these) drives in that. I got WD disks because plex gold gave me 20% off, so $160 for 500GB. If you really want to go fast (although there's no reason to), get the Intel Optane P900D, which is $500 for 500GB.

But I wouldn't upgrade from what you already got unless you're running out of space. Unless you're virtualizing alot of machines with alot of IOPS or doing things live that needs to saturate a 10Gb connection, there's very little benefit to go for a modern NVMe SSD.

3 minutes ago, StackUnderflow said:

The rig the SSDs are in are also in a older Sandy bridge system. I got a PCIe 16x to 4x4x4x4x NVMe adapter (not all mobos support these) drives in that. I got WD disks because plex gold gave me 20% off, so $160 for 500GB. If you really want to go fast (although there's no reason to), get the Intel Optane P900D, which is $500 for 500GB.

But I wouldn't upgrade from what you already got unless you're running out of space. Unless you're virtualizing alot of machines with alot of IOPS or doing things live that needs to saturate a 10Gb connection, there's very little benefit to go for a modern NVMe SSD.

Would something like this be worth it? Just for my steam library
https://www.pccasegear.com/products/41389/intel-760p-series-m-2-nvme-ssd-1tb

1 minute ago, Mullens-Servers said:

There are so many cheaper drives on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=1+tb+nvme+ssd

I'd probably settle for a 2.5in SATA3 SSD which is half the price, but if you're loaded, go for it.

15 hours ago, Mullens-Servers said:

I mean for what you’re doing it’s really not needed, even a typical Samsung or crucial sata 3 ssd would serve you well at half the price. But if you want the best of the best, then I’m not stopping you