External bluray/dvd player, how to get 60+fps?

Kaia

Hello, I want to get an external bluray/dvd player for the purpose of listening to music, and watching bluray/normal movies. However i've run into two issues, one a blu ray player can, apparently, only connect to a computer via the monitor. So I woulnd't be able to listen to music, and the second problem is, you connect it to your monitor using a HDMI. But a HDMI doesn't support my 165hz monitor, is there any way I can listen to music, and watch movies in blu ray with more than 60fps? Preferably both in one device, but if needed I can buy a blu-ray player specifically for the movies and a dvd player for my music. Thanks in advance :)

bluray doesn't do over 60fps, and most movies aren't over 24fps anyways. it'll work and connect to your monitor

you can listen to music, the audio will be transmitted over hdmi and played back through your monitor, or audio out of the player

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Most Blu-ray movies are encoded at 23.976fps, which most modern displays support an output of.

I'm not sure what you're asking about for when you mean a Blu-ray playing tapping out at your mointor's native refresh rate. The most you're getting is 1080p at 60Hz from a DVD.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Bluray doesn't go over 60FPS.

Most movies are recorded in 24FPS as it's the minimum frame rate to see a smooth image.

hi.

23 minutes ago, themctipers said:

bluray doesn't do over 60fps, and most movies aren't over 24fps anyways. it'll work and connect to your monitor

you can listen to music, the audio will be transmitted over hdmi and played back through your monitor, or audio out of the player

Ah, so how would it interact with my computer? If it goes through my monitor I cant use my headphones, and I assume music has to go through windows aswell. Would I have to connect my monitor to my computer using a second HDMI cable instead of my displayport? It's the only logical thing I can think of, but having to swap to a HDMI for my monitor for the sake of listening to some dvds sounds like a nightmare

1 hour ago, Kaia said:

Ah, so how would it interact with my computer? If it goes through my monitor I cant use my headphones, and I assume music has to go through windows aswell. Would I have to connect my monitor to my computer using a second HDMI cable instead of my displayport? It's the only logical thing I can think of, but having to swap to a HDMI for my monitor for the sake of listening to some dvds sounds like a nightmare

I'm assuming you mean a standalone player instead of one that connects to your PC. With one that connects to your PC, connect the player via USB or SATA and then use software like VLC to play back movies and audio. Audio will come out from PC, connect headphones to PC. 

With one that is standalone with a HDMI connection, as in a bluray player you'd connect to a TV, you'd need two connections to the monitor. On from PC to monitor , and one from bluray player to monitor. Just use the 3.5mm audio out from the player or RCA, or heapshone jack from monitor to get audio out to headphones. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

4 minutes ago, themctipers said:

I'm assuming you mean a standalone player instead of one that connects to your PC. With one that connects to your PC, connect the player via USB or SATA and then use software like VLC to play back movies and audio. Audio will come out from PC, connect headphones to PC. 

With one that is standalone with a HDMI connection, as in a bluray player you'd connect to a TV, you'd need two connections to the monitor. On from PC to monitor , and one from bluray player to monitor. Just use the 3.5mm audio out from the player or RCA, or heapshone jack from monitor to get audio out to headphones. 

Oh, I thought every external optical drive had to be connected to the monitor, so if I get one that connects via USB, I'll be able to, through something like VLC, watch Blu-ray movies and listen to dvd music as if it were a normal internal dvd player? Do you have a recommendation perhaps? A site here in europe told me the LG BE16NU50 would be good, but its pretty expensive, I don't plan to use it too much

1 minute ago, Kaia said:

Oh, I thought every external optical drive had to be connected to the monitor, so if I get one that connects via USB, I'll be able to, through something like VLC, watch Blu-ray movies and listen to dvd music as if it were a normal internal dvd player? Do you have a recommendation perhaps? A site here in europe told me the LG BE16NU50 would be good, but its pretty expensive, I don't plan to use it too much

there are two types of external optical drives, one that connects up the computer via USB like apple's superdrive, or one you would use standalone with a TV. 

you can do that if you get a external one, yes, but I would recommend going with a sata based option that mounts in the 5 1/4" slot on your PC case. it will read the disk faster and be able to spin faster when ripping them, as sata power is much more stronger than USB power, and so you can drive a faster motor, and sata is faster than a normal USB 2.0 connection. 

I don't have a recommendation, but all of the internal and external ones that connect via USB should be the same. Just allows a PC to use the optical drive for burning and reading, just get one that does something reasonably fast (not 1x or 2x, 4x and higher, around 16-24 is fine) and write ability if you want to write them.

just to clear up some confusion if you still have any, the LG one you talked about connects up to the computer via USB. It will not need a HDMI connection from the drive to the monitor. 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.