PC BUILD NEEDS HELP WITH CPU AND GPU CHOICES

gbakmars

Hello to my new friends that I may never see "Face To Face", for you are just like the song says: "somewhere out there"!

I have been a member for 2 minutes now! Although by the time I put together this post, which by the way, may not be in the correct location; I will have become a 60 minute member- and counting!

I would very much appreciate some help.     I am hoping that some members here would help a stranger in need!

Typing these couple of sentences made me realize how many friends I have been blessed to have; often because I admitted I needed help!

I could use some help, counsel, insight, and wisdom; that would help me have the assurance that I purchase and install:

#1- The “right/best" CPU in an ASUS WS X299 PRO motherboard, providing enough cores, enough speed, enough PCIe 3.0 LANES!

#2- The best GPU match- giving best of both worlds!

The Video Card needs to be fast and efficient when I am using "professional" type software ( EX. Adobe -full suite) I have several thousand high resolution photographs which are "slides" that need to be scanned, using a Nikon Cool Scan, and then incorporated into a variety of "presentations", I have  video that needs to be put into presentations as well. PHOTOGRAPHY is of great importance and the CPU and GPU need to have that covered.

Although I have "Projects" that I need to work on, it is important that this build is always about "enjoying" what I am doing. I I want to purchase/install a CPU and GPU which make this PC build a machine that I enjoy working with. Although the ASUS WS is considered to be a "work station"; I have found that more often than not; these ASUS WS motherboards have hidden in them the potential to be both; a PC that gets work done, and also a PC that is capable of being a "Dream Machine"- A Gaming and Working machine is what I would like to have after I drop in these major components.

Intel and EVGA are the only two CPU and GPU that I would purchase; but if the GPU answer is to install an NVidia Quadro (PNY), and then EVGA may get bumped!

The ASUS WS X299 PRO motherboard was a major challenge to get! (It is a genuine PRO and not a Pro/SE. The PRO is nowhere to be found here in the USA. I had to fly to the UK to get this ASUS PRO version!)

Like many PC builders, I am hoping to have the best of both worlds- which means I can get the "Work" done efficiently and quickly, so that the work is actually FUN; and I can handle or play any form of entertainment, such as gaming, movies on a 4K screen, searching multiple sites while playing a game, scanning thousands of slides with a Nikon Cool Scan; creating high resolution images that will be "corrected", "cropped", "labeled", "organized", and "catalogued"; being able to always be working on multiple tasks- I am writing a book and that is always a task that is grabbing a core or chunk of memory, working with friends to develop a new web site to make the work that I am doing, visible to others, I am burning 1,500 CD's , using the J-River Media Center software- all music is stored as FLAC files, music is integrated into Video and Photo work, I am taking valuable bits from movies and these will be tied together- I have about 900 Movies in DVDs or Blu-Ray format, basically I am sharing with you what will help make each of these kind of projects, Enjoyable!

Also, I want to.....Don't laugh! I want to introduce to all of my computer savvy friends, a "REPLACEMENT for facebook"!

COMPONENTS WHICH ARE ALREADY IN THE BUILD Listed next. Also, an important issue is related to the number of PCIe 3.0 Lanes needed for the components listed here.  The Intel 7820X CPPU provides 28 lanes. The 7900X CPU’s provide 40 Lanes.

Corsair T-760

ASUS WS X299 PRO

64 GB (4 X 16 GB) of Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400 C14 1.2V Memory

ARECA 1883i Raid Controller Card-  Requires 8 PCIe 3.0 Lanes,  Controls 2 Samsung 860 PRO 1TB SSD's, 4 Samsung 512 GB 860 EVO SSD's, 3 WD

2 Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB NVME SSD cards, running off of PCIe 3.0 X 4  in a Raid 1 (Back up of Operating system)

EVGA 1,200 Watt Platinum PSU

7 Corsair Magnetic-Levitation/blue PWM fans

Corsair H 115i PRO CPU Cooler- with 4 push/pull 140MM Corsair Magnetic/Levitation fans

Plextor DVD/CD burner and Plextor Blu-Ray burner An ARECA 1883i Raid Controller Card will use 8 PCIe 3.0 Lanes. Only the two 970 PRO NVME SSD's will not be controlled by ARECA.

6 WD- 4 TB HARD DRIVES (3 Performance Black, with 256 Cache-WD4005FZBX and 3 Gold Enterprise-WD4002FYYZ) ARECA for RAID 1

FOUR 860 EVO 512 GB SSD’s - ARECA for two RAID ZERO.

Two 860 EVO 1 TB SSD’s –ARECA for two Raid 1 Back up of FOUR 860 SSD’s

A friend directed me to this site; testifying on the life of his mother, laying on his Bible; that there wasn't a question that I could possibly think of, that wouldn't have a "correct" or "satisfactory" answer, provided from a LinusTechTips member, within FIVE minutes!

I will split the wager that I made with my friend with the member that meets the following conditions: #1- FIVE MINUTES has to pass before my question is "correctly" answered. #2- Any member with no relationship with my friend, provides a "satisfactory" or "correct" response to my question, after the 5 minute mark has passed!

I really do look forward to contributing to those that come here to share. I thank you for anyone that takes the time to read this!

THANKS,

GB!

Firewrath9  !! AWESOME- I am really impressed that I got a response at 11:30 PM Eastern!! Thanks for reading that "Book"!

I am not a "FAN" of Intel. Over the years I have seen Intel make so many choices that made it impossible for customers to benefit the most from motherboards.

I have never used an AMD product and at this point I really can't make the choice to switch.

Because I already have the ASUS WS X299 PRO motherboard, I have to stay with Intel. How long have you been here at Linus? I like you photo.

How did you choose it?

I'm in Michigan, just north of Detroit, on Lake Sinclair. How far are you from Baltimore? My oldest daughter went to Johns Hopkins after graduating from Wheaton College, north of Chicago. We made about 20 trips to Baltimore over a 5 year period! May have passed your house!!

Thanks again and have a peaceful night!!

GB

Greetings gentleman. Since you didn't give us the budget limit, I would recommend core i9 7980XE and duel Titan V with Nvlink. The cooling of these components could be a problem so having a whole system water cooling would be helpful. 

2 hours ago, gbakmars said:

Firewrath9  !! AWESOME- I am really impressed that I got a response at 11:30 PM Eastern!! Thanks for reading that "Book"!

I am not a "FAN" of Intel. Over the years I have seen Intel make so many choices that made it impossible for customers to benefit the most from motherboards.

I have never used an AMD product and at this point I really can't make the choice to switch.

Because I already have the ASUS WS X299 PRO motherboard, I have to stay with Intel. How long have you been here at Linus? I like you photo.

How did you choose it?

I'm in Michigan, just north of Detroit, on Lake Sinclair. How far are you from Baltimore? My oldest daughter went to Johns Hopkins after graduating from Wheaton College, north of Chicago. We made about 20 trips to Baltimore over a 5 year period! May have passed your house!!

Thanks again and have a peaceful night!!

GB

BTW, quote to announce him like this, or he could not get the notification.