USB Drive - Acess denied

ItsJo
Go to solution Solved by bebejapes,
3 minutes ago, ItsJo said:

Thanks! I will try that now and report back!

if that doesnt work try this.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-reuse-revert-re-format-a-USB-flash-drive-fr/

Hey everyone,

soo i really need your help here.

I am at a loss here since I have no Idea what to try anymore. But first things first: some time ago i installed linux on my laptop using etcher.io to flash the image onto my usb drive.

What i didn't realize at the time is that etcher did something to my drive. I could boot off it but windows (or my new linux system) cannot use it anymore.
It does get detected but I cannot format it.

(sorry, my system is in German so screenshots will be German too :/ )

tHwnk0j.png

Xo1WkU9.pnggleUOPr.png

After digging deeper into the problem and using DISKPART i tried to clean the device:

EOb8Qzw.png

Note that I ran the CMD i started diskpart with as admin. I also tried several tools that promised to solve my problem but none succeed so far.
The reason why I didn't try to repair it with linux is that I need that drive to reinstall linux since something went wrong and I don't have a system backup (yes i know... stupid) and well i don't have a Disk drive to boot my live DVD's.

I did read of others with the same problem - even on etcher.io's forum but noone seems to have found a solution yet. (I did post on their forum but no one answered and my email also didn't get notice at all.

Hopefully someone of you guys maybe knows what's up here and can help me. The Stick was kind of expensive even tough it's just 32 gigs, its dual type a and c - and brand new so it would be sad to buy a new one.
If you think it's only possible to fix on linux i can certainly use a linux machine - I am relatively comfortable with unix shell but never used USB drives with it.
Anyways thank you in advance!

7 minutes ago, ItsJo said:

Hey everyone,

soo i really need your help here.

I am at a loss here since I have no Idea what to try anymore. But first things first: some time ago i installed linux on my laptop using etcher.io to flash the image onto my usb drive.

What i didn't realize at the time is that etcher did something to my drive. I could boot off it but windows (or my new linux system) cannot use it anymore.
It does get detected but I cannot format it.

(sorry, my system is in German so screenshots will be German too :/ )

tHwnk0j.png

Xo1WkU9.pnggleUOPr.png

After digging deeper into the problem and using DISKPART i tried to clean the device:

EOb8Qzw.png

Note that I ran the CMD i started diskpart with as admin. I also tried several tools that promised to solve my problem but none succeed so far.
The reason why I didn't try to repair it with linux is that I need that drive to reinstall linux since something went wrong and I don't have a system backup (yes i know... stupid) and well i don't have a Disk drive to boot my live DVD's.

I did read of others with the same problem - even on etcher.io's forum but noone seems to have found a solution yet. (I did post on their forum but no one answered and my email also didn't get notice at all.

Hopefully someone of you guys maybe knows what's up here and can help me. The Stick was kind of expensive even tough it's just 32 gigs, its dual type a and c - and brand new so it would be sad to buy a new one.
If you think it's only possible to fix on linux i can certainly use a linux machine - I am relatively comfortable with unix shell but never used USB drives with it.
Anyways thank you in advance!

Can you right click and go into properties?

what happened to the usb?

is this usb yours?

1 minute ago, bebejapes said:

Can you right click and go into properties?

what happened to the usb?

is this usb yours?

lBLTuyu.png

Yes I can and this is what shows. Yes it's mine and it got destroyed when i flashed an linux install image onto it (same thing happened to 2 other drives, too bad i didn't notice in time now i have 0 wirking drives)

Ck7JNfw.png

3 minutes ago, ItsJo said:

lBLTuyu.png

Yes I can and this is what shows. Yes it's mine and it got destroyed when i flashed an linux install image onto it (same thing happened to 2 other drives, too bad i didn't notice in time now i have 0 wirking drives)

Ck7JNfw.png

Go to security and add yourself

with full permission to take ownership.

if it fails use cmd to take ownership

wait let me get this straight

you used the drive to install linux?

what is the current format of the usb?

2 minutes ago, bebejapes said:

Go to security and add yourself

with full permission to take ownership.

if it fails use cmd to take ownership

I have tried to do that, unfortunatlly the security tab (in german 'Sicherheit') is missing.

one the left you see the USB device, on the right one of my SSD's

ZcapOj4.png

wait let me get this straight

you used the drive to install linux?

what is the current format of the usb?

Yes I did use the dive to install linux - after that i tried formatting it several times. I think currently it has no format since Windows promts me to format it everytime i plug it in

1 minute ago, ItsJo said:

I have tried to do that, unfortunatlly the security tab (in german 'Sicherheit') is missing.

one the left you see the USB device, on the right one of my SSD's

ZcapOj4.png

1 minute ago, ItsJo said:

Yes I did use the dive to install linux - after that i tried formatting it several times. I think currently it has no format since Windows promts me to format it everytime i plug it in

thats easy.

hahaha i was wondering why you got stuck there.

okay so all you need to do is use a zero byte software basically its like a data wiping software

so that it will run through the entire usb and wipe the memory clean.

Since you used it to boot linux its written in unix format which windows cannot read at its current level.

if you cant use something like easeus partition tool to recover use use vmware to live run a linux os and then you will be able to format that usb to ntfs mbr  because currently its neither mbr or gpt. those two are the only thing windows recognizes.

try roadkill usb data wipe

Thanks! I will try that now and report back!

16 minutes ago, bebejapes said:

Whoaa. That worked and was way easier that all of the other stuff I was trying to do. Thank you very, very much!

So whatever the problem was it's now fixed thanks!

Okay, so after fixing my second drive I now know what fixed it. I used Hardwipe (something very simmilar to roadkil) and aborted the operation. That seems to have fixed the problem!

roadkil somehow didn't detect my device.

Edited by ItsJo

6 minutes ago, ItsJo said:

Whoaa. That worked and was way easier that all of the other stuff I was trying to do. Thank you very, very much!

So whatever the problem was it's now fixed thanks!

roadkil somehow didn't detect my device.

its just the ex format of linux its kinda complicated but to be safe i suggest you keep a virtual linux.

that what i do just in case something goes wrong i have a back up unix distro ready to go.

its just the ex format of linux its kinda complicated but to be safe i suggest you keep a virtual linux.

that what i do just in case something goes wrong i have a back up unix distro ready to go.

Yeah, that is probably a very good idea :D Thanks again :)