PC upgrade thoughts

So one of my friends just got into building a pc,and hes planning to upgrade his.

so heres what hes thinking of

Motherboard:MSI Pro Series Intel B250 LGA 1151 DDR4 USB 3.1 micro-ATX Motherboard 

Ram:Kingston Technology HyperX FURY Black 8 GB CL15 DIMM DDR4 2400 MT/s Internal Memory 

Power Supply:EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR 500 W1, 80+ WHITE 500W

GPU:EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 GAMING, 2GB GDDR5, DX12 OSD Support Graphic Card 

Mouse and Keyboard:Redragon K552-BA Gaming Mechanical Keyboard, M601 Gaming Mouse, P001 Gaming Mouse Pad Combo

so a few questions:

1:this is his first time opening up a pc,and im not exactly a genius to help him out,so does he need to buy any extra ports ?

2:are these stuff compatible with each other ? or does the power supply or any component for that matter need a different port io ?

3:this is the case he has,is it gonna do the job ?

I know,To some these questions might look stupid but We are both noobs at this :P

Thanks for the help

37024737_800672200289580_8538119458000994304_n.jpg

This stuff seems compatible, but if you want to be extra sure about the ram, check out the QVL on MSI's website for the motherboard in question. they list ram compatibility in a spreadsheet that you can search with CTRL+F, and you can find the ram part number online.

Other than that, getting the 1050 was a smart idea because it doesn't need power cables for the cast majority of models. I just hope his CPU isn't an i7 or something way too powerful to pair with a 1050,

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

7 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

This stuff seems compatible, but if you want to be extra sure about the ram, check out the QVL on MSI's website for the motherboard in question. they list ram compatibility in a spreadsheet that you can search with CTRL+F, and you can find the ram part number online.

Other than that, getting the 1050 was a smart idea because it doesn't need power cables for the cast majority of models. I just hope his CPU isn't an i7 or something way too powerful to pair with a 1050,

its a pentium

which is probably the exact opposite,way too weak xD

10 minutes ago, Kingslasher3000 said:

its a pentium

which is probably the exact opposite,way too weak xD

oof that's rough. however, not really the worst to put with a 1050, but an i5 goes a loooong way, and not even a modern one is needed to beat a pentium. I recommend a 4th gen i5 to get more value. lga 1150 has lots of life left in it.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

24 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

oof that's rough. however, not really the worst to put with a 1050, but an i5 goes a loooong way, and not even a modern one is needed to beat a pentium. I recommend a 4th gen i5 to get more value. lga 1150 has lots of life left in it.

yeah a cpu is probably the next step

1 minute ago, Kingslasher3000 said:

yeah a cpu is probably the next step

is the CPU already owned? make sure it's compatible. that case looks old, and I hope he isn't using parts that came with it, judging by the looks of the attached pic. It's also restrictive of airflow, so make sure you don't push it with upgrades that would run hot.

Primary PC:

10 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

is the CPU already owned? make sure it's compatible. that case looks old, and I hope he isn't using parts that came with it, judging by the looks of the attached pic. It's also restrictive of airflow, so make sure you don't push it with upgrades that would run hot.

Yup,it was a prebuilt pc that came with pentium

he has like 30 cds leftover,worst case scenarion he'll buy a new case

2 minutes ago, Kingslasher3000 said:

Yup,it was a prebuilt pc that came with pentium

he has like 30 cds leftover,worst case scenarion he'll buy a new case

What model pentium? do you know if it fits in the motherboard?

Primary PC:

3 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

What model pentium? do you know if it fits in the motherboard?

its an E5300

are there different cpu sizes ?

I thought it was the same for all cpus

its an E5300

are there different cpu sizes ?

I thought it was the same for all cpus

so the motherboard you've selected uses a socket for the cpu called LGA 1151. it has 1151 pins (go figure,) and only works with 6th generation and 7th generation CPUs. I think the selection is fine for a budget gaming build, but you'll need to pick up a new CPU as well to use it. I recommend an i3 considering the expected performance.

Otherwise, you could just go with my previous recommendation and find 4th gen processors on ebay. I personally find the i5 4570 to be an admirable chip.

Use PCPartPicker.com to check if the stuff you've selected is compatible.

Primary PC:

~$460 before rebates

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i3-7100 3.9GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($114.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: MSI - B250M PRO-VDH Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($49.99 @ B&H) 
Memory: Team - Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2800 Memory  ($79.99 @ Newegg Business) 
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1050 2GB AERO ITX Video Card  ($119.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: DIYPC - Ranger-R4-R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($29.97 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA - BT 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($29.89 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $424.72
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-07-11 20:55 EDT-0400

Rawr.

3 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

so the motherboard you've selected uses a socket for the cpu called LGA 1151. it has 1151 pins (go figure,) and only works with 6th generation and 7th generation CPUs. I think the selection is fine for a budget gaming build, but you'll need to pick up a new CPU as well to use it. I recommend an i3 considering the expected performance.

Otherwise, you could just go with my previous recommendation and find 4th gen processors on ebay. I personally find the i5 4570 to be an admirable chip.

Use PCPartPicker.com to check if the stuff you've selected is compatible.

ok thanks for letting me know.

Ill be sure to tell him about cpu,he was just about to push the button on the purchase..oh well

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/c8YWxY

I included the major parts you listed (to my closest approximation) and added my recommended cpu.

Primary PC:

3 minutes ago, Sernefarian said:

~$460 before rebates

CPU: Intel - Core i3-7100 3.9GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($114.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: MSI - B250M PRO-VDH Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($49.99 @ B&H) 
Memory: Team - Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2800 Memory  ($79.99 @ Newegg Business) 
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1050 2GB AERO ITX Video Card  ($119.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: DIYPC - Ranger-R4-R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($29.97 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA - BT 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($29.89 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $424.72
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-07-11 20:55 EDT-0400

The problem is He has a budget of 500 CANADIAN dollars.

this build goes over 600 canadian dollars.

The problem is He has a budget of 500 CANADIAN dollars.

this build goes over 600 canadian dollars.

i recommended the pentium because it'll save a lot over the i3, which i personally think is a redundant product becaues of the pentiums.

Primary PC:

2 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

i recommended the pentium because it'll save a lot over the i3, which i personally think is a redundant product becaues of the pentiums.

Thanks for taking the time to make the list

Really appreciate it

yeah the canadian dollar kinda sucks

Ill try to figure something out

2 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Edit: the pentium g4560 is probably best bang for buck. My last pcpartpicker list had g4600

Primary PC:

Less performance, but within budget even before rebates:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 1200 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($116.50 @ Amazon Canada) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-AB350M-DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($67.00 @ Vuugo) 
Memory: G.Skill - NT Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($103.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GT 1030 2GB Low Profile Video Card  ($109.99 @ Memory Express) 
Case: Rosewill - TYRFING ATX Mid Tower Case  ($28.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Power Supply: Antec - EarthWatts Green 380W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($42.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Total: $469.46
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-07-11 21:08 EDT-0400

Also less performance:

CPU: Intel - Celeron G4900 3.1GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($56.00 @ Vuugo) 
Motherboard: MSI - B360M PRO-VH Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($82.99 @ PC-Canada) 
Memory: G.Skill - NT Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($103.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1050 2GB D5 Video Card  ($169.99 @ Memory Express) 
Power Supply: Antec - EarthWatts Green 380W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($42.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Total: $484.95
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-07-11 21:09 EDT-0400

Rawr.

1 minute ago, Sernefarian said:

Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-AB350M-DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($67.00 @ Vuugo) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GT 1030 2GB Low Profile Video Card  ($109.99 @ Memory Express) 

I really don't think a gt 1030 is a good buy at this price point. Bang for buck just tips way in favor of the 1050 because of the price hikes.

Primary PC:

4 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Edit: the pentium g4560 is probably best bang for buck. My last pcpartpicker list had g4600

Yeah Actually I was just about to say the g4600 costs too much in cdn

this squeezes in right through the budget tho,Il have to cancel out the keyboard and mouse but I think I should get the hardware done first then think about the accessories

again,Thank you so much 

you are of immeasurable help 

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

I really don't think a gt 1030 is a good buy at this price point. Bang for buck just tips way in favor of the 1050 because of the price hikes.

Second build addresses that. Edited the post lol

Rawr.

2 minutes ago, Sernefarian said:

Second build addresses that. Edited the post lol

Didn't update for me, odd.

Primary PC:

7 minutes ago, Sernefarian said:

Also less performance:

CPU: Intel - Celeron G4900 3.1GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($56.00 @ Vuugo) 
Motherboard: MSI - B360M PRO-VH Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($82.99 @ PC-Canada) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1050 2GB D5 Video Card  ($169.99 @ Memory Express) 
Total: $484.95
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-07-11 21:09 EDT-0400

Thank you for putting this together

he only wanted a cpu though at around 80 cdn so it could fit the budget,however i dont think he would plan on revamping the build now.

oh and dont worry about performance,he will mostly play fortnite on it( I disagree aswell but what can I do)

I might,however consider this for my own build,never tried any amd product.

maybe its time to try somehting new 

5 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Didn't update for me, odd.

Sometimes it takes a little while. I wonder if it is because portions of the server cluster that serves the forum draw from different databases which sync at intervals and thus they sometimes might throw different results. Probably not that but is a thing that could occur(and would be inefficient and I honestly disbelieve LTT would design that way lol.

Rawr.