Mechanical Keyboard Recommendations.

pskitz

I'm not very familiar with the different types of switches so I'm looking for recommendations. I do not currently game very much at all, but I would like to get back into it when I have time. I'll probably use the keyboard mostly for typing. I like number pads. I don't really care about having marco keys and I really want something that is backlit. I'm currently using a wireless logitech keyboard and mouse combo that lags more than I thought was even possible so basically anything would be an improvement. My budget is flexible, $100 would be nice but I'm looking for a mechanical keyboard so that probably won't work, I should be able to stretch it to $150 and not hate myself too much.

The G710+ is currently $108 at Bestbuy US: www.bestbuy.com/site/Logitech---G710%2B-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard/6819135.p?id=1218808243010&skuId=6819135

It uses Cherry MX brown switches which has the tactile feel of blues without the noise.

Guide about mechanical keyboards: www.overclock.net/t/491752/mechanical-keyboard-guide

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

You could go for a Ducky Shine 2

For typing I prefer blue switches, but browns are quieter.

http://global.pchome.com.tw/english

I bought from that site. Great selection of backlight colors. But if you are in north america you could probably get something locally.

A cheaper posibility is the CM Storm Quickfire TK, it has a numpad/arrow keys combo. I had one but couldn't get used to that.

I bought a Ducky Shine 2 DK9008 Full keyboard. Backlit. MX Blues. Its great. Ducky have so many options for switch type and back lighting colour. The control modes for backlighting are also very good. Great build quality and worth the price.

If noise is not an issue, then something with cherry mx blues. Real joy to type on. Blue switches are the loudest.

If noise is an issue go with Reds or Browns. As for keyboards, the above (Ducky). Logitech g710 has white back lighting, price is reasonable and there are also o-ring dampeners for added noise reduction. The only thing that may bother you is the macro keys.

I got a corsair k90 cherry mx red switch mechanical keyboard and id recommend it to anybody

Intel I7 2600k @ 4.5ghz, Asetek 510 LC Xtremegear liquid cooling system, PALIT GTX 780 Super Jetstream OC, 8Gb Kingston Hyper X blu series 1600mhz, 64Gb Crucial M4 series SATA III Gaming MLC SSD, 1TB Western Digital HDD 6.0gb/s,  Asus P8z68-v Pro Motherboard, Corsair Vengance K90 Keyboard,950Watt Cyberpower PSU, Cyborg RAT 5 ,  Coolermaster CM 690II case, Dell Ultrasharp U2412M 1920 x 1200

Right here I'm going to go ahead and assume you're changing from a membrane keyboard to a mechanical keyboard. The easiest transition from a membrane to a mechanical would be Cherry MX Browns. I currently own a Cherry MX Blue and Brown and they're both wonderful to type on. If you don't have a problem with having no number pad you can go ahead and grab a tenkeyless so you have more desk space and it reduces the cost. I currently use a QuickFire Rapid with Blue switches and it has great build quality. If you want a backlit keyboard go ahead and look at a Ducky Shine II, my only gripe about my Cherry MX Brown Shine II is that it took me a little while to get used to the cherry stabalizers which makes them feel a little mushy. Cooler Master makes great keyboards for the price and if you want a great backlit keyboard look over at Ducky Shine II's I'm sure you'll love your decision regardless.

http://www.amazon.com/QuickFire-Mechanical-Keyboard-Keyswitches-SGK-4000-GKCM1-US/dp/B007VDKLLM

If your absolute maximum is $150 then that can accomadate buying a Filco, which I absolutely recommend doing

Fullsize or TKL, up to you, but I use a fullsize as my daily driver and find the numpad useful

However, they don't have any of the frills (which I like) like the backlighting and macro, but if you absolutely need backlighting then get a Ducky Shine

As for switches, since you said you're mainly doing typing, you'd be fine with either MX Blues or MX Browns, it's a matter of preference

If the Filco or Ducky don't tickle your fancy take a look at this guide and see if you like any of them

sJQkWzn.png

'm shallow, I al;ready have a CM Storm Trigger Cherry MX Red amd love it, decided to try a no name Armageddon MKA-3 Cherry MX Red, (though only black and red switches are known for this model) I was assured it was red by the shop guy who's a friend of mine. It's not a full sized board, it lack the number keys on the right and a few other keys as well, it has only 87 keys, I've been typing on it and it feels so much like the Cherry MX Red on my CM Storm Trigger. Anyway, one reason why I had gone with it is because it has backlight as well......if budget allows, get a Filco, they make the best mech KBs. Only thing I don't like about them is no backlight, Duckyshine on the other hand looks damn nice!

20130413_193141_zps79decaf2.jpg

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

If your absolute maximum is $150 then that can accomadate buying a Filco, which I absolutely recommend doing

Fullsize or TKL, up to you, but I use a fullsize as my daily driver and find the numpad useful

However, they don't have any of the frills (which I like) like the backlighting and macro, but if you absolutely need backlighting then get a Ducky Shine

As for switches, since you said you're mainly doing typing, you'd be fine with either MX Blues or MX Browns, it's a matter of preference

If the Filco or Ducky don't tickle your fancy take a look at this guide and see if you like any of them

sJQkWzn.png

Appreciate for sharing the the list :D I'm going to find another secondary keyboard