Philips Hue for my new home

I came across Philips Hue and though I am fascinated by the lighting, I am hesitant as to whether to set all the bulbs in my new home to Philips hue or are there any suggestions as to how to set up for best effects?

It can get pretty expensive. I would buy slowly and wait for deals... particularly around the holidays. 

Also, I want to warm the Hue infrastructure is possibly on the better end of the spectrum is terms of implementation, but the bridges are absolute crap. It has limitations of 60 lights or a ridiculous 12 or so "accessories," which includes sensors and switches. It is not designed for a full, modern household. It is best suited for a one bedroom apartment. The range is no issue. My house is 2,200 sq ft and I need two bridges for the lights and accessories. That is my biggest complaint. The cost is easy to justify over time, but the color bulbs are absolutely useless. I have them in limited areas because they don't work well in a living room. Nobody wants to break bread in a red room, or poop in a blue cellar.

On a positive note, it totally transformed my house. We have 13 bulbs in the living room alone and I can control them from one Hue switch. All my bathrooms and closets are motion activated. I have an LED strip on my bannister with a motion sensor so it's never dark when we go up or down the stairs - this alone sold my wife on it. Plus the widgets on her watch and control from our phones. And I control the lighting in my theater room with my Harmony remote. 

I highly recommend it, but as ALL "smart" technology, it can be somewhat frustrating. It works 99% of the time... but that 1%. 

21 hours ago, JohnT said:

It can get pretty expensive. I would buy slowly and wait for deals... particularly around the holidays. 

Also, I want to warm the Hue infrastructure is possibly on the better end of the spectrum is terms of implementation, but the bridges are absolute crap. It has limitations of 60 lights or a ridiculous 12 or so "accessories," which includes sensors and switches. It is not designed for a full, modern household. It is best suited for a one bedroom apartment. The range is no issue. My house is 2,200 sq ft and I need two bridges for the lights and accessories. That is my biggest complaint. The cost is easy to justify over time, but the color bulbs are absolutely useless. I have them in limited areas because they don't work well in a living room. Nobody wants to break bread in a red room, or poop in a blue cellar.

On a positive note, it totally transformed my house. We have 13 bulbs in the living room alone and I can control them from one Hue switch. All my bathrooms and closets are motion activated. I have an LED strip on my bannister with a motion sensor so it's never dark when we go up or down the stairs - this alone sold my wife on it. Plus the widgets on her watch and control from our phones. And I control the lighting in my theater room with my Harmony remote. 

I highly recommend it, but as ALL "smart" technology, it can be somewhat frustrating. It works 99% of the time... but that 1%. 

Thanks for the opinion