Fan Orientation. Help Needed.

Go to solution Solved by userzero,

Sorry but what specs are you running? You don't need all of this as a regular user unless you're overclocking some serious hardware in there.

Whatever you do just make sure you have slightly more exhaust than intake, quite simple mate :)

And yes, all the filters you can on intakes is good.

Hey guys,

So, I just bought the Coolermaster MasterAir G100M and was thinking if the side fan orientation would matter.

I mean, I have 2  outtake fans at the top, 1 outtake at the back, 1 intake at the bottom (as soon as i receive my splitter), 1 front intake fan and 2 side outtakes. (I don't have a glass or acrylic side panel yet.)

I'm just wondering if maybe the air from the front and/or bottom intakes would be snatched by the side fans since they oppose each other? (The Cooler and Side Exhaust)

It's idling at 34-35°C which is still ok, but the idle temps before I changed the orientation was 27-28°C.

Also, the side fans don't have any sort of filter, so I changed them from intake to exhaust.

Thanks for the help! :D

It doesn't matter how fast you run, there are some demons you just can't escape...

Well, I think the bigger issue here is that you have 5 exhaust fans and 2 intake fans. This'll create negative air pressure and just not be good overall.

I'd switch your fan configuration to 3 intakes and 2 exhausts.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

A general rule of thumb is to have more intakes than outputs (though just barely more). This is to create positive air preasure in the case (air preasure in the case is higher then outside of the case) which repels dust entering through unvilltered openings of the case. 

I don't know where your side fans are located, but perhaps move one of them to the front for intake. Bring air in through the bottom and front and out through the top and back.

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

3 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Well, I think the bigger issue here is that you have 5 exhaust fans and 2 intake fans. This'll create negative air pressure and just not be good overall.

I'd switch your fan configuration to 3 intakes and 2 exhausts.

Hmmm.. I might have to rethink my configuration. Can you suggest a good combination? Thanks! :D

It doesn't matter how fast you run, there are some demons you just can't escape...

1 minute ago, ORGASMATRON said:

Hmmm.. I might have to rethink my configuration. Can you suggest a good combination? Thanks! :D

Yes, more air going in than out. Simple as that.

Probably gaming or helping technophobes with tech...

4 minutes ago, bgibbz said:

A general rule of thumb is to have more intakes than outputs (though just barely more). This is to create positive air preasure in the case (air preasure in the case is higher then outside of the case) which repels dust entering through unvilltered openings of the case. 

I don't know where your side fans are located, but perhaps move one of them to the front for intake. Bring air in through the bottom and front and out through the top and back.

My current chassis can only accommodate 1 front intake fan. :( 

Yeah but you're going to have one drawing up from the bottom you said. So combined with the front intake, 1 decent exhaust fan would be perfect.

What if I change my side fans back to intake orientation and just add some filters? xD

So it will be 

2 top exhausts, 1 back exhaust, 1 front intake, 1 bottom intake and 2 side intakes?

Edited by ORGASMATRON

Sorry but what specs are you running? You don't need all of this as a regular user unless you're overclocking some serious hardware in there.

Whatever you do just make sure you have slightly more exhaust than intake, quite simple mate :)

And yes, all the filters you can on intakes is good.

Nothing heavy, I just got curious. lol

Thanks man! :D

27 minutes ago, ORGASMATRON said:

fan orientation

Don't ask, don't tell.

CPU-AMD Ryzen 9 5900X / CPU Cooler-Noctua NH-D15S / Motherboard-MSI MPG X570S CARBON MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-WD WDBSLA0040HNC-NRSN 4TB 3.5" 7200 RPM / Storage-WD Red 6 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM--Crucial P3 4TB 3.0X4 NVME--Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Corsair MP600 CORE 2TB 4.0X4 NVME / Video Card-XFX Radeon RX 6900 XT / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / PSU-SeaSonic PRIME 1000 W 80+ Gold / Sound Card-Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z w/Shield / Monitor-BenQ GW2765HT 27.0" 2560 x 1440 60 Hz / Monitor-Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz / Keyboard-Logitech G Pro / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / UPS-CyberPower GX1325U / Fan Controller-Corsair Commander Pro

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / CPU Cooler-Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX / Motherboard-Asus TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI) / MemoryG.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Western Digital Black SN750 SE 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB 3.0X4 NVME--Seagate Barracuda Compute 3 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM / Video Card-Asus KO Gaming OC GeForce RTX 3070 / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / Case-LIAN LI PCI-E 16 X 4.0 Black Riser / PSU-EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ Gold / Monitor-LG 22BK430H-B 21.5" 1920 x 1080 60 Hz / Monitor-MSI Optix 271CQP 27.0" 2560 x 1440 165 Hz Curved / Keyboard-Logitech G413 TKL SE / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD / Fan Controller-Corsair  Commander Pro / Sony HT-S200F Soundbar

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700X / CPU Cooler-Scythe Mugen 5 Black Edition / Motherboard-MSI MPG B550I GAMING EDGE MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--PNY CS900 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB NVME/ Video Card-EVGA XC GAMING GeForce RTX 3060 / Case-Cooler NR200P / PSU-Cooler Master V750 SFX GOLD / Keyboard-HyperX Alloy Origins Core / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower LE1000DG-FC / Fan Controller-NZXT RGB & Fan Controller

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700G / CPU Cooler-Scythe Shuriken 2 / Motherboard-Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI / Memory-Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3800 CL18 / Storage-WD Blue 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--Patriot P310 1.92TB 3.0X4 NVME / Case-InWin B1 Mesh / Keyboard-Logitech K380 / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / Monitor-ViewSonic VX1755 17" 1080p Portable IPS Gaming Monitor 144Hz / Speakers-Creative Muvo Go (Black)

6 hours ago, ORGASMATRON said:

Maybe 2/3 front intakes, 1 rear exhaust, and 1 top exhaust?

If you can't do 3 front intakes, put one on top closer to the front of the case, and have the top exhaust closer to the rear of the case.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

8 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Maybe 2/3 front intakes, 1 rear exhaust, and 1 top exhaust?

If you can't do 3 front intakes, put one on top closer to the front of the case, and have the top exhaust closer to the rear of the case.

Aww. I just reverted it back to the previous orientations. xD

2 side intakes, 1 bot and 1 front intakes, and 1 back, 2 top exhausts. 

I just ordered 2 fan filters for the sides. lol.

Thanks anyway. :D

Edited by ORGASMATRON

The G100M is downdraft cooler. Meaning it pushes air through heatsink towards mobo. If you have issues (max/load temps) with CPU, add intake to side vent right over that cooler.

Idle temps only tell if cooler is mounted correctly or not. You need to check load temps to tell if something is really wrong with cooling config.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv