Synology software questions

I just got my first NAS, a Synology DS218+. I used Cloud Station Backup to make a backup of my important folders, including my music folder.

Is there a way to link this music folder with the main music folder that comes pre-existing on the NAS? I'd like to do it in a way that doesn't just duplicate the files, which would use up HDD space needlessly, and I'd like it to automatically sync whenever I add new music to the backup folder.

I tried going through Control Panel > Indexing Service > Indexed Folder > Create, but none of my backed-up folders show up there.

what you are talking about is called folder and file linking (common on UNIX based systems like Linux), even though Disk Manager (Your NAS's OS) is based on linux, it can't do what you want because Synology has decided not to allow that

your best bet is to keep all of your music in the main music folder as it will be less of a hassle getting things like plex to find your music

also have your files stored on two devices that sync with each other (either with first or third party software) as losing your data (whatever it may be) is the worst thing to ever happen, i think Disk Manager can do this if it can see another compatible NAS that has been configured correctly but thats something i don't know anything about so i can't help your there

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

you could also just set whatever you want to use to access your music to scan the backup folder for music.

On 6/23/2018 at 7:33 PM, Salv8 (sam) said:

what you are talking about is called folder and file linking (common on UNIX based systems like Linux), even though Disk Manager (Your NAS's OS) is based on linux, it can't do what you want because Synology has decided not to allow that

your best bet is to keep all of your music in the main music folder as it will be less of a hassle getting things like plex to find your music

also have your files stored on two devices that sync with each other (either with first or third party software) as losing your data (whatever it may be) is the worst thing to ever happen, i think Disk Manager can do this if it can see another compatible NAS that has been configured correctly but thats something i don't know anything about so i can't help your there

Seems like this software has a lot of limitations. Cloud Station Backup also won't let me backup program files. Are there recommended third party options that are reliable and work well?

Basically I'm looking for something that backs up selected folders on a schedule, by checking for any new or modified files. And I would want it to save files in a format that isn't proprietary and doesn't require a specific program to view, if that makes sense.

41 minutes ago, Raxxath said:

Seems like this software has a lot of limitations. Cloud Station Backup also won't let me backup program files. Are there recommended third party options that are reliable and work well?

Basically I'm looking for something that backs up selected folders on a schedule, by checking for any new or modified files. And I would want it to save files in a format that isn't proprietary and doesn't require a specific program to view, if that makes sense.

Then you'd be best off using something like Robocopy with the /ZB /MIR switches. I've been looking for an easy-to-use backup system that doesn't lock your files into a proprietary format for 15 years, and have yet to find one after trying over 20 different options, both closed and open source, so if you find a better solution, please tag me as I'd love to hear about it.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

5 hours ago, kirashi said:

Then you'd be best off using something like Robocopy with the /ZB /MIR switches. I've been looking for an easy-to-use backup system that doesn't lock your files into a proprietary format for 15 years, and have yet to find one after trying over 20 different options, both closed and open source, so if you find a better solution, please tag me as I'd love to hear about it.

6 hours ago, Raxxath said:

this program https://freefilesync.org/ works well, so long as your NAS hosts a share that is comparable with your OS (e.g NFS for linux/unix, ASP (or what it is called) for mac OSX, and SMB for windows) you can keep those files and folders in sync with your server (just be careful with programs, some may not play nicely and may get correpted if you back them up this way!!!!!)

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

On 6/25/2018 at 9:19 PM, kirashi said:

How about Duplicati? Haven't tried it yet or anything, still looking into it.