First Time Building PC HALP!

Hi everyone.

Next month I am planning on doing my first ever build, previous PCs experience was a Compaq prebuilt in the early 2000's, 

then more recently and currently a prebuilt Gateway SX2802 from around 2009, however obviously that PC is no longer up to par for modern AAA games

so I was forced into becoming a Console gamer but I want to make the switch to PC gaming.

I feel like I have watched every "How To" video on YouTube for building your own PC and I am very keen to get into PC gaming but the more I look into parts and compatibility and how sometimes more isn't better, bottle-necking etc. I'm so confused and lost on where to go and its becoming overwhelming.

What I am after is a "cheap" gaming PC as majority of the time will be used for gaming but sometimes I have to bring my work home with me so some Microsoft Office use, watching videos and web browsing (Not 4K..not yet at lest) 
I have a PSVR headset which I have found can be used on PC so I really would like the PC to be "VR Ready" so I didn't just waste my money on the headset. I also want it to be upgradeable in the future when I have some more money to make it better.

Visually I am not to fussed as I would take performance over looks, however I'm a simple man and black and green are what I would aim for as a "Theme" (Green RGB lighting black case)

Finally I would like some input on what people think about getting refurbished Dell Optiplex or Thinkcenter PCs as they seem to all have i5's - i7s and at least 8GB of DDR3 RAM. all for around $400 NZD. I have always had Intel so would prefer to keep with Intel, however if it would be cheaper to get what I am after using an AMD processor then I am open to trying it.

Budget: $750-$1000 NZD
Used parts are fine (I know I am asking a lot for that budget)

Thanking you in advance for any help you can give to this newbie.

Regards,

Mr. Rage

Awfully tight budget for NZ.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i3-8100 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($176.00 @ 1stWave Technologies) 
Motherboard: ASRock - B360M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($143.74 @ PB Technologies) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($155.24 @ PB Technologies) 
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($67.84 @ PB Technologies) 
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Phoenix Video Card  ($302.50 @ 1stWave Technologies) 
Case: Silverstone - PS08B (Black) MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($50.92 @ Ascent Technology) 
Other: Corsair CP-9020120-AU  ($96.70 @ PB Technologies) 
Total: $992.94
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-06-22 11:01 NZST+1200

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Thank you for your reply.
What kind of performance should I expect out of that build? I'm sorry if that is a stupid question but I am learning as I go.

I know its very tight.. but wow you did amazing to get it at $992.94 I suppose I could always use my current 1TB HDD, though that been said I don't imagine it has that much life left in it been that it is almost 10 years old.

34 minutes ago, brob said:

Awfully tight budget for NZ.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i3-8100 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($176.00 @ 1stWave Technologies) 
Motherboard: ASRock - B360M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($143.74 @ PB Technologies) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($155.24 @ PB Technologies) 
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($67.84 @ PB Technologies) 
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Phoenix Video Card  ($302.50 @ 1stWave Technologies) 
Case: Silverstone - PS08B (Black) MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($50.92 @ Ascent Technology) 
Other: Corsair CP-9020120-AU  ($96.70 @ PB Technologies) 
Total: $992.94
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-06-22 11:01 NZST+1200

Thank you for your reply.
What kind of performance should I expect out of that build? I'm sorry if that is a stupid question but I am learning as I go.

I know its very tight.. but wow you did amazing to get it at $992.94 I suppose I could always use my current 1TB HDD, though that been said I don't imagine it has that much life left in it been that it is almost 10 years old.

It's a solid entry level system. In terms of gaming performance the i3-8100 and GTX 1050 Ti are well matched. Check out GTX 1050 Ti reviews to get a rough idea of expected performance.

If you have a working hdd, you could try using it. With that savings and a little bit more in the pot, you might be able to get a 240GB+ ssd which would improve booting, loading and non-gaming performance.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.