Extremely high ping randomly when Wi-Fi is enabled.

boyka19

I have an ADSL connection, and recently I bought a new modem router (TP-Link Archer VR400),  and I'm experiencing a really weird problem, I use my main PC through Ethernet, and if the Wireless network is enabled, at random times (several hours apart with no pattern) I will get an absurd amount of ping, , varying from 2000 to around 3500, this sometimes lasts for a couple minutes or a couple hours, but if I disable Wireless in the router, the ping goes away. I thought maybe some device connected to the Wi-Fi started downloading an update, or something, but I don't think that's the reason because if I purposely start downloading or uploading at max speed through Wi-Fi, I will only get spikes of about 400-600 ping, not the absurd 1500-3500.

And also, I tried to isolate the device causing it, by disabling Wi-Fi one by one in each of them when the issue started happening, but it persisted with every one of them.

Sadly I can't test another router since the one I had died, and the new one is the only one I have right now. I haven't changed any setting in the router apart from setting up the Wi-Fi password and the ADSL settings.

Anyone have a clue?

Sounds like your router is just being hit really hard with something that it can't keep up with. Check both bands and see if there's any interference or someone else connected to your wifi (or if your family or someone else is streaming UHD or higher) Other than that I would contact your ISP to make sure that they fully support your router model. I don't know what it's like where you are from, but in Asia, where I used to live, some routers are just straight up incompatible with certain ISPs.