Home Server Build

Hello all,

I'm in the planning phase of a home server build and would greatly appreciate wider input on parts selection.This is what I've come up with so far:

Case - Fractal Design Node 304

MotherboardASRock E3C226D2I Server Board

CPU

PSU - Corsair CXM 430 Watt

Boot DriveSamsung 840 EVO 120GB

Storage Drives - 2xWD RED 3TB 

The server will be used for storage and streaming of high bit-rate media as well as [manual] backup of personal data. The two RED's will operate in RAID 1 for redundancy until I expand the array to accommodate a RAID 5 or 6. I have suitable RAM already. So, on to the part that has brought me to a pause; what [1150] CPU would be best suited to accompany the E3C226D2I. Obviously media streaming isn't especially taxing but I expect to use this server for some time without upgrades and being capable of 'on the fly' video encoding would certainly be a boon. Having said that I'd rather not spend in excess of £100 on the CPU so economical recommendations are certainly welcome.

Additionally, if any of you would like to recommend alterations anywhere else or propose additions to the build please feel free to do so.

Hope you are all enjoying the holiday season and thanks in advance,

Navokz

That looks like an ideal part for sure. Was just having a look at at the G3420 which is one step down but (as linked) is significantly discounted making it two thirds the price of the G3430. By my guess it would only be factionally slower, maybe 3% slower IPC, than the G3430 and represents a tangible saving. Do you think it would be a noticeable compromise?

In regard to the motherboard, the one on my OP seemed the best value of anything I came across but if anyone is familiar with, or would like to recommend an alternative part, I'm all ears. 

That looks like an ideal part for sure. Was just having a look at at the G3420 which is one step down but (as linked) is significantly discounted making it two thirds the price of the G3430. By my guess it would only be factionally slower, maybe 3% slower IPC, than the G3430 and represents a tangible saving. Do you think it would be a noticeable compromise?

3420 is the same thing it's just 0,1 GHz slower. Probably better to take this because it's much cheaper.

I don't always have time to study, but when I do, I don't.

post-12696-0-88744100-1388107317_thumb.p

This is my basket right now, probably going to purchase in a few minutes. Thank you kuzimins for your help. Hope to have it all up and running soon.

Navokz