[UK] Search for front panel USB Type A and Type C

Go to solution Solved by ratva,

For anyone interested - I had gotten in touch with Akasa about the link I posted in the OP, and got this reply:

Thank you for your mail and query regarding the new AK-ICR-32 product.

We received stock of the AK-ICR-32 yesterday, thus should be available with our UK distribution and reseller channels soon (expect availability in 1-2 weeks). Rest assured once we have information with the earliest stockist we endeavour to keep you updated.

No indication as to what the price will be, but it looks like the product should be in stock in the UK within 2 weeks.

TLDR: I'm looking for a front panel with at least 2 USB type A and at least 1 USB type C (running at 3.1 gen 2 speeds, i.e. 10 Gb/s). Something like the Akasa link below is ideal.

Hi All,

Currently my front I/O only has 2 USB ports (one of which is always taken up with a logitech wireless dongle - for some reason my mice all get poor connection if I put this dongle in the back of the case), so I wanted more front USB type A ports. I also wanted something with type C for future proofing. SD/microSD card readers would be nice but I have a USB adaptor for these so it's not an issue either way. Preferably I won't have anything else (i.e. no fan control, no TF reader or headphone jacks).

I have a system with a Gigabyte Z170 XP-SLI motherboard, with a spare USB 3.0 header that I'd like to use for a USB front panel (I realise I won't get full 10Gb/s on the type C until I upgrade motherboards) inside a Phanteks Enthoo Pro M.

I was looking at something like this from Akasa:

http://www.akasa.co.uk/update.php?tpl=product/product.detail.tpl&no=181&type=Card Reader/Hub&type_sub=USB Hub&model=AK-ICR-32

however it's not available in the UK from what I can tell.

Does any one have any recommendations for a decent quality front panel that is similar? I've seen a few things on Aliexpress (e.g. 1 and 2) however none of them will support anything beyond 3.0 speeds.

Edit:

Specifically: the ports I would like are

2 or more USB type A (3.0 or above, optionally with high power variants)

1 or more USB type C (3.1 gen 2)

0 or 1 SD card slot

0 or 1 microSD/TF card slot.

No other ports.

A decent build quality - either a well known brand or one that you've used that has good QA, I.e. Electronics shouldnt be loose/misaligned, etc.

Thanks for the help.

Edited by ratva

Hi Bob,

I appreciate the suggestions, however while the first link does support USB 3.1 gen 2 (10Gbps transfers), I wasn't sure about the quality since even in the demo photo the USB ports don't seem to line up. Have you had any experience with the brand?

Unfortunately the other links only support up to USB 3.0 speeds (5Gbps) or include the ports I mentioned not wanting (e.g. Audio jacks/random memory card readers).

I've should have said that I've had a look through Amazon listings but few support the 10Gbps traveler rate that's my main criteria, and most also have lots of ports that I do not want.

Specifically the ports I would like are

2 or more USB type A (3.0 or above)

1 or more USB type C (3.1 gen 2)

0 or 1 SD card slot

0 or 1 microSD/TF card slot.

Thanks. I'll update the op to clarify this.

I did, however they only had either Type A only variants, or Type C only variants. As mentioned I'm looking for something with at least 2 type As and at least 1 type C.

If no-one knows of any in particular I'll just wait till I can find/import the Akasa one.

For anyone interested - I had gotten in touch with Akasa about the link I posted in the OP, and got this reply:

Thank you for your mail and query regarding the new AK-ICR-32 product.

We received stock of the AK-ICR-32 yesterday, thus should be available with our UK distribution and reseller channels soon (expect availability in 1-2 weeks). Rest assured once we have information with the earliest stockist we endeavour to keep you updated.

No indication as to what the price will be, but it looks like the product should be in stock in the UK within 2 weeks.