Case for home server

Hey guys.

What would be your own personal suggestion for a good case to use for the purposes of building a home media server?

I have a build in mind that I am currently putting together the parts for. My plan was to use the Fractal Node 804 but I haven't pulled the trigger yet in terms of buying the case. There are one or two little things about it which I think might bug me, and I worry that I will see the perfect case as soon as it's too late!

I definitely prefer the clean and understated style of design. Metal or glass over plastic is always a big plus point with me. And it should be able to hold at least 6x 3.5inch drives.

(I already have the motherboard which is mATX, so no ITX suggestions please, but I don't think ITX would be able to hold at least 6x 3.5inch drives anyway...)

34 minutes ago, DezGalbie said:

What would be your own personal suggestion for a good case to use for the purposes of building a home media server?

a free one

if it's only streaming media then almost any computer with a network port could do it.

1 minute ago, emosun said:

a free one

if it's only streaming media then almost any computer with a network port could do it.

Yeah, it's true that almost any case could meet the minimum requirements of the job. But in terms of aesthetics, ease of building, thermal performance etc do you have any preferences or suggestions?

5 minutes ago, DezGalbie said:

But in terms of aesthetics, ease of building, thermal performance etc do you have any preferences or suggestions?

well the task is such a lower tier task that.... honestly no i have no recommendation other than free.

again , a machine like this doesn't really need any sort of thermal performance as you're basically just making a drive hub so the cpu will be pretty much idle speed all of the time.

aesthetics is subjective. i have no idea what you think is nice. I was under the impression if it's a file server it will be tucked away somewhere in a basement or closet.

1 minute ago, emosun said:

aesthetics is subjective. i have no idea what you think is nice. I was under the impression if it's a file server it will be tucked away somewhere in a basement or closet.

I did try to give some guidance as to what I think is nice.

47 minutes ago, DezGalbie said:

I definitely prefer the clean and understated style of design. Metal or glass over plastic is always a big plus point with me.

So any suggestions fitting that kind of description are definitely appreciated. But if you really have no preference in these things except "free" then I guess there's nothing for you to suggest. Thanks anyway for taking the time to respond.

4 minutes ago, Belzebuth said:

For low noise and clean design at low price  : Nanoxia Deep Silence 4

Low noise aluminum build high end : Lian-Li PCA04B or Lian-Li M25B but more expensive

That Lian-Li PC A04B looks pretty sharp. Looks like it fits the bill in terms of drive space too. That's one to think about.