Windows 10 programs crash if any keyboard input is registerd

Go to solution Solved by KevinBeta,

An update:

I think I have solved the problem. I think the cause was NZXT's CAM software. Not the software itself tho. every time cam started with windows it also started"CAMFPS.exe". this part of the program didnt respond but was running. When I shut down that app the problam dissapeard. I can still have CAM open and in the background but CAMFPS.exe was the cause in this case.

Hello wonderfull LTT Forums!

I have a big problem!

If i am in an application, not windows specific but any program. If I enter any type of keyboard input the program freezes and crashes. I can wait for the program to continue but that never works.

I dont know at all what could be causing this problem. The wierd thing is that if i use the software keyboard built in to windows 10 the same thing happens. even if my corsair strafe is disconnected.

anyone knows what is going on? or a solution?

My windows build is "Build 17134.rs4_release.180410-1804"

Gaming PC:

NZXT H440 Asus Z170-A 4X8GB Corsair LPX RAM 3200MHz Intel Core i7 6700K 4.5GHz EVGA GTX 1070 FTW Edition Corsair H100i v2 Samsung 750 EVO 120GB WD Blue 1TB HDD WD Blue 580GB HDD NZXT Hue+ BitFenix white cable extensions EVGA 750w Fully modular PSU

Does it have the same issue in Safe Mode? Boot into Safe Mode by holding Shift when clicking Restart in the Start Menu. It is somewhere in the Advanced Settings called Change how Windows starts or something.

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

What is the Event Viewer telling you?

(right click windows button)

I have a cue light I can use to show you when I’m joking, if you like.

Just now, Husky said:

Does it have the same issue in Safe Mode? Boot into Safe Mode by holding Shift when clicking Restart in the Start Menu. It is somewhere in the Advanced Settings called Change how Windows starts or something.

i have tried that and the keybord works there. i did a system file scan with CMD with the command sfc /scannow

Gaming PC:

NZXT H440 Asus Z170-A 4X8GB Corsair LPX RAM 3200MHz Intel Core i7 6700K 4.5GHz EVGA GTX 1070 FTW Edition Corsair H100i v2 Samsung 750 EVO 120GB WD Blue 1TB HDD WD Blue 580GB HDD NZXT Hue+ BitFenix white cable extensions EVGA 750w Fully modular PSU

1 minute ago, TARS said:

What is the Event Viewer telling you?

i have never used that before. what should i look for in that app?

Gaming PC:

1 minute ago, KevinBeta said:

i have never used that before. what should i look for in that app?

Check the Application and System event logs for anything relating to keyboard.

Seems like a strange issue, works in Safe Mode but not in normal boot mode. Points to an application or driver issue. Try to look for any keyboard programs and check your keyboard devices in Device Manager.

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

I'd guess your program is probably hanging and crashes when it is interrupted.

Do you have av?

Just now, Ryujin2003 said:

I'd guess your program is probably hanging and crashes when it is interrupted.

Do you have av?

whats av?

Gaming PC:

in event viewer i can se an error level saying Application Hang and when i open it, it says "program" stopped interacting with windows and was closed. 

Gaming PC:

4 minutes ago, KevinBeta said:

whats av?

Anti virus.

How long has this been an issue, did anything happen to your of around the same time? Sketchy website, software update, crash, power outage?

5 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Anti virus.

How long has this been an issue, did anything happen to your of around the same time? Sketchy website, software update, crash, power outage?

i have only used windows own av and that has been good so far... this issue happend about 1 day ago. i got the keybord to work fine for a period after cutting the power to the psu whn the pc was running, i had it off for a while and then started the pc again and the keyboard worked without issues. earlier today i did the sfc scannow in safe mode and after restarting the pc worked fine but the next time i restarted the problem was back again. during this time i have installed an run a deep scan with Avast and malewarebytes aswell as some CCleaner.

Gaming PC:

Is this a new keyboard or gave you had it a while without issues?

1 hour ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Is this a new keyboard or gave you had it a while without issues?

ive had it for about 9 mounths without any issues

Gaming PC:

An update:

I think I have solved the problem. I think the cause was NZXT's CAM software. Not the software itself tho. every time cam started with windows it also started"CAMFPS.exe". this part of the program didnt respond but was running. When I shut down that app the problam dissapeard. I can still have CAM open and in the background but CAMFPS.exe was the cause in this case.

Gaming PC: