windows update

Pink_Snowman

I'm having the issue of windows not letting me update because it thinks its booting off a USB drive. I currently have my boot drive plugged in via SATA on my motherboard.

here are the pictures of the error message

2018-05-29 (1).png

Restart and if that does nothing try to rollback to previous windows version then reupdate?

38 minutes ago, Pink_Snowman said:

I'm having the issue of windows not letting me update because it thinks its booting off a USB drive. I currently have my boot drive plugged in via SATA on my motherboard.

here are the pictures of the error message

Your motherboard SATA controller drivers is marking your SATA drive as removable, as in a USB flash drive.

Here is the fix:

1. See in the UEFI/BIOS if they are any options on this. Your SATA controller should be set to AHCI mode.
  2. Go to Device Manager > Disk drives > and double click on your main drive where windows is installed on. Then go under the "Policies" tab, and make sure that "Better performance" is selected, and NOT "quick removal". If it is not set to "Better performance", you'll need to restart your system after your change it
  3. Open the registry editor (regedit), and go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control. From there, make sure the value of PortableOperatingSystem, is set to 0. You can double click on it, to set a value. Restart your PC after the change.

Now try.

22 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Your motherboard SATA controller drivers is marking your SATA drive as removable, as in a USB flash drive.

Here is the fix:

1. See in the UEFI/BIOS if they are any options on this. Your SATA controller should be set to AHCI mode.
  2. Go to Device Manager > Disk drives > and double click on your main drive where windows is installed on. Then go under the "Policies" tab, and make sure that "Better performance" is selected, and NOT "quick removal". If it is not set to "Better performance", you'll need to restart your system after your change it
  3. Open the registry editor (regedit), and go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control. From there, make sure the value of PortableOperatingSystem, is set to 0. You can double click on it, to set a value. Restart your PC after the change.

Now try.

I don't believe I have the option to do steps 2 and 3

2018-05-29 (3).png

Then Step 2 doesn't concern you, go to Step 3.

If you don't have the entry in the registry, what do you have under:

"Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control"

(you can post a screenshot of it, I'll check if the rest looks correct)

Also post a screenshot of Disk Manager.

4 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Then Step 2 doesn't concern you, go to Step 3.

If you don't have the entry in the registry, what do you have under:

"Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control"

(you can post a screenshot of it, I'll check if the rest looks correct)

Also post a screenshot of Disk Manager.

2018-05-29 (5).png