Help operating Smartwatch

So I just got my Ticwatch E the other day and i'm trying to figure it all out and would like to ask you guys for app recommendations and help.

First, I installed Facebook messenger on my watch, but can you not start a conversation with a contact? Is it only replies? Seems odd to have an app you can select but just says "yes it's installed and you receive messages". On that note does it need to be installed on the watch get get the notifications if the watch is connected to my phone? I thought all notifications got pushed to the watch to tell you they are there.

What fitness app would you guys recommend for keeping track of steps, like setting goals and heart rate(tracking cycling would be great too)? I tried the Mobovi app and it seemed wildly inaccurate and i'm not a fan of google fit.

Any other must have apps? My phone is an s7 edge if that has any relevance. Thanks in advance 

Edit: Just playing about with it now, it's the same for spotify, selecting the app on the watch just brings up recent played somes and that's it, you can't navigate. But if you play something from your phone, the select the notification on the watch, you can browse and play your songs (However pressing your songs doesn't bring up a list, just shuffles everything, even though you can get a list for albums and artist, seems very strange), this seems really round about and backwards, is it just me?