OC'ed 5960X vs 8700k

I have a massively overclocked 5960X 4.6Ghz stable at 59C under Prime95/Furmark/Cinebench 1.29v if memory serves me correctly.

it works well, I built it when I was doing massive video projects which I haven't done in a year and don't think I will do again. for about the last month I have been considering selling it and going to a 8700k delidded on Water.

I mostly watch Netflix on one screen and play WOW/D3/World of WS on the other screen I am hoping to see some improvement on what I do even if my benchmarks might not be as high

From my research a "GOOD" De-lidded 8700k can hit 5Ghz,

I figure I can sell it for more then the cost to get the 8700k and put a k or so in my pocket.

00I0I_hmqiT3EXTIs_600x450.jpg

Is there a problem with your overclocked 5960X?

If not, don't upgrade.

If there is, then upgrade.

The 5960X has 2 more cores and 4 more threads than the 8700K, so multithreaded performance might drop a bit with the 8700K(haven't checked benchmarks).

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

No issues at all with my 5960X it just has way more power then I need, though the apps I do run now might have some boost from the higher core clock

4 minutes ago, Belezeebub said:

No issues at all with my 5960X it just has way more power then I need, though the apps I do run now might have some boost from the higher core clock

4.6Ghz is pretty snappy, although I'm not sure how much of a benefit you'll get from just .4Ghz.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Not worth it. The 5960X kicks the 8700K's ass in multithreaded stuff and it's still a bad ass gaming CPU

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

One Last question

I know in terms of raw horsepower my current system is a Lamborghini and the system Spec’d below is more like a 77 Trans-Am

Do you think in normal day to day gaming and web surfing I would noticed the difference, I no longer do big render projects or transcode movies, I am ether playing D3, WOW or WO Warships with a Netflix movie or you tube on the other screen. (My computer does not get out of second gear)

Current System

5960X running at 4.6 GHz

32G ddr4 2133

Boot 970 Pro

Data 960Evo

Gtx 1080ti Water-cooled (Runs under 40C even in benchmarks)

Dual 4k Screens

Proposed new computer

De-Lidded/Liquid Metal I7-8700k shooting for a stable 4.7+

WD Black 256Gb NVMe SSD in raid 0 (I have nightly backups both on and offline I can go from dead hard drive to up and working in under two hours, I know because a friend bet me I couldn’t and lost)

16 GB of DDR4 4133

GTX 1070TI EVGA

EKWB A240 with extra 240

Dual 1920x1080 monitors I have dual 4K now and to be honest enough of the stuff I care about doesn’t scale well so most of the time they run 1920x1080 anyways

Much like owning a Lamborghini in the United States it seems silly to own something you can't get out of second gear :)

1 hour ago, Belezeebub said:

Much like owning a Lamborghini in the United States it seems silly to own something you can't get out of second gear

If you feel that way then by all means, sell the one you own and buy the other one. If you are not using your 4k monitors to full potential anyway and the objective is to get something reasonable with more cash left after the transaction, you will probably not notice much difference but your wallet will.

Shame though ;-)

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

I'd keep your current set up the way it is man, the 8700K might be slightly faster overall in single threaded tasks but that 5960X is no slouch, especially at 4.6 GHz. Plus, since it has 8 cores, you are pretty well future proof for anything that might come out within the next few years, so I'd definitely keep that 5960X over the 8700K. It should last you many years to come.

Main PC :

CPU = R9 3900X / Motherboard = Asus Crosshair 8 Hero / GPU = EVGA SC Ultra RTX 2060 / RAM = G.Skill 3600 16-19-19-39 ( 32GB / 4x8 ) / Cooling = Dark Rock Pro 4 / Storage = Western Digital Caviar Blue ( X4 ) Crucial 500GB NVME, 500GB 970 EVO/ PSU = Seasonic X-850 Modular / Case = Corsair Carbide 200R

Wireless = Asus PCE-AC56 / Keyboard & Mouse = Corsair K70 MX Blue, Logitech G203 / Headphones = Hyperx Cloud Alpha /

3 minutes ago, Coachdude said:

I'd keep your current set up the way it is man, the 8700K might be slightly faster overall in single threaded tasks but that 5960X is no slouch, especially at 4.6 GHz. Plus, since it has 8 cores, you are pretty well future proof for anything that might come out within the next few years, so I'd definitely keep that 5960X over the 8700K. It should last you many years to come.

He is not looking for an upgrade - he wants to get down from HEDT to mainstream because he is not utilizing full potential of his current rig and wants to get some extra cash in the process.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

I should have said in my OP I love toys the way I do my budget is I can spend any amount for a toy as long as it doesn't come out of my budget, part of the reason for this thread is the thrill that comes from taking a box of assorted parts, putting them together and making them work then seeing how far I can take it, my 5960x has hit 4.8 on water and was stable but I didn't like the temp creeping up to 64 so I dialed it back a bit,

I got the 4790k for my big transcoding project because in the long run it was cheaper to buy a frame by frame Telecine machine and the computer then to pay a service to transcode all the home movies I convert to digital for my family, then I sold the telecine and got into 3d printing, right now I search craigslist for broken 3d printers I fix them get them working and use the profits to get my bigger 3d printers... I admit I have a problem :) I got the Dual 4k because my budget had 3800 set aside for new wood floors I saved 900 by tearing out the old flooring my self, so bingo dual 4K's

I think I just want a new toy but I am on the fence about it... it was so much eaiser when my wife was alive I would ask she would ask why?

and some how in the week of back and fourth I would end up getting half of what I wanted and she would get a new laptop (Still trying to figure out if I won)

Oh well Guess I'll keep big red

9 hours ago, Belezeebub said:

I admit I have a problem

I wouldn't necessarily call it a problem. I think it's a fantastic if a bit unusual way to go about your hobby. Don't change!

9 hours ago, Belezeebub said:

it was so much eaiser when my wife was alive

Damn, sorry to hear that man. 

I said it's a shame because I can appreciate a good HEDT chip and now when I'm seeing that you could've gotten it to 4.8 I would insist for you to keep it. But then again, if you find something new shiny and interesting, don't think twice - just do what you do ;-)