Can't Post with 2 gpus installed. Only one

Iv recently got my hands on a second 1080ti. Hipeing to run SLI. Both cards are same. Tested and both work. My problem comes when. I try to boot my system with both installed. I first installed them into my asus maximus x hero. When I go to boot up. I get no display and a post code of 30. Now the screen will recognize but it's always black and then screen goes to sleep. Ow on my mobo i know the 1st pcie slot is x16. 2nd is x8. And 3rd x4. If i plug my second card into the 2nd slot. The problem accurs. Now if i plug into the 3rd i can boot but not enable SLI do to mobo set up. I also found even one card in 2nd slot and other slots free. No boot post code 30. Had me thinking my mobo was bad. I got a new mobo yesterday. Asus maximus x formula. And all the problems I had with 1st board are same on this one. Am I doing something wrong. Both cards tested and work alone and together in none sli slots. My psu is evga 1600 supernova. I have 32 GB ram. And run a 8700k. Any help will be appreciated.

16 minutes ago, Blacklablelive said:

Iv recently got my hands on a second 1080ti. Hipeing to run SLI. Both cards are same. Tested and both work. My problem comes when. I try to boot my system with both installed. I first installed them into my asus maximus x hero. When I go to boot up. I get no display and a post code of 30. Now the screen will recognize but it's always black and then screen goes to sleep. Ow on my mobo i know the 1st pcie slot is x16. 2nd is x8. And 3rd x4. If i plug my second card into the 2nd slot. The problem accurs. Now if i plug into the 3rd i can boot but not enable SLI do to mobo set up. I also found even one card in 2nd slot and other slots free. No boot post code 30. Had me thinking my mobo was bad. I got a new mobo yesterday. Asus maximus x formula. And all the problems I had with 1st board are same on this one. Am I doing something wrong. Both cards tested and work alone and together in none sli slots. My psu is evga 1600 supernova. I have 32 GB ram. And run a 8700k. Any help will be appreciated.

So your motherboard manual says that you need it to be in the first and second slot to get 16x plus 8x? I mean sometimes that isn't the case so I just wanted to make sure.

Yeah. Slot 1 and 2. But anything in slot 2 will not post nor get to bios. This is on all my asus maximus boards

10 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

So your motherboard manual says that you need it to be in the first and second slot to get 16x plus 8x? I mean sometimes that isn't the case so I just wanted to make sure.

Can I even run 2 1080ti on these mobos

5 hours ago, Blacklablelive said:

Can I even run 2 1080ti on these mobos

Yeah you should be able to. You do need an sli bridge though. Alot of mobos come with one.