Sleeping Dogs Review

joelthezombie15

First off. I know im late but with it being on steam and me just beating it i figured i might as well review it. 

THERE WILL BE NO SPOILERS AND I WILL NOT DISCUSS THE PLOT IN DETAIL SO DONT WORRY.

Story: 8/10

There are two story lines in this game, The cop story and the gang story, i will rate them apart from each other. The score above is an overall story score.  

Cop Story: 4/10 

It was weak. All it was is "Hey, heres a case now go run around for us." It was very one dimensional and well, boring. There were no big twists or anything it was just there. it felt more like side missions than a real part of the story. This was the lowest point of the game. 

Gang Story: 8.5/10

I really liked it. It was very eventful and kept me on the edge of my seat. It had an amazing pace where it didnt take a really long time to get into the thick of it and it didnt drag on forever. it was great. Some parts were a little cliche and predictable but those parts were few and far between but often enough for me to notice it. I really liked this story line though very interesting and really gritty.

Overall Story: 9/10

Very linear. No choice at all besides deciding if you want to do cop or the gang story. While linear though its good. The writing was good. I really felt for some of the characters near the end wanting them to live and make it out. The writing was good is what im saying. But as i said before, the cop story sucks. thats it it sucks. the gang stor is the high point of this game and i really feel that they could have left the cop part out.overall though very good.

Graphics: 7/10

The Graphics were good. cutscenes were rough, Kind of mediocre to be honest, with weird hair and low res textures on clothing and what not. However, thats a small bit of the game. The gameplay graphics were really good. This is the first game ive finished on pc and it was the first game to really make me amazed by how amazing the graphics can be. I was able to play on the highest settings at roughly 45 fps. I rarely dropped below 30fps but it did happen, granted i am playing on a 5850 with 1gb of vram so i am sure it will run better on other machines. The part where i really noticed how amazing this game looks was at night while its raining. "OH MY GOD" were the first words that came out of my mouth when i saw this game i was astonished with how great it looked. Im sure there are better games but man this game is pretty. Sadly though there is the issue with the cut scenes namely the hair and clothing. Faces could also be a bit rough at times but most faces were good. all in all a beautiful game. 

Combat: 8/10

The hand to hand combat is very similar to the combat used in the batman games. With that said it was really good. What i enjoyed most was when you would hit someone you felt it. and i know that sounds weird but it just gives you a great feeling running out of your home and jump kick the fighting couple outside your door. It was just some solid combat. The gun play on the other hand was weak. With shotguns that sound like BB guns and pistols that take upwards of 5 head shots to kill someone, it was bad. I have had worse but this was pretty bad. Luckily you dont have to use the guns very often, later on in the gang story you use them for at least a small part of each mission but there were only around 4 missions that used guns exclusively. And the other missions that use them usually only use them for a small part of the mission. The cover system seemed to be quite decent, I dont play many cover shooters so i cant say with 100% confidence if it was good or not but it seemed decent. I rated this so high because the hand to hand is so great and the shooting was a small part. 

Driving: 6/10

it was good, Even with motion turned off it gave you a real sense of speed, maybe not as great as other games but it was good. Each car seems different from the other, some are very loose with the steering while others were very stiff. One thing that annoyed me though is that the turn radius was the same for almost every vehicle, to the point that a bus takes an entire road to turn around and so does a motorcycle. this really annoyed me. Also, backing up is annoying because the camera tries to do its own thing but the way it moves makes it to where you cant see where you are going. And if you go forward from that camera angle it changes it to the opposite of where it is. It is REALLY annoying and that is the reason driving got such a mediocre score. Otherwise the driving is pretty good, better than GTA if you ask me.

Gameplay: 7/10 

Its a fun game. Really fun. Theres some issues it has like the camera is pretty bad and sometimes the GPS can be a pain. But overall its just a fun game no more to say than that.

Overall: 8.25/10 Great!

​Highly recommended and I might even replay it. (the only other game i have ever played twice was bioshock infinite) Seriously if you want a good longish game (~14 hours) get this. Theres no multiplayer sadly but it is a truley good game that i can whole heartedly recommend to anyone. 

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

I personally loved the story, it constantly kept me on my toes, and the combat felt like an action movie or something.

Also, saying a game is bad because it's linear is stupid. If that's your idea on things, games like Half Life and Halo must be shit.

I personally loved the story, it constantly kept me on my toes, and the combat felt like an action movie or something.

Also, saying a game is bad because it's linear is stupid. If that's your idea on things, games like Half Life and Halo must be shit.

It was good, minus the cop story. I could have done without that.

I dont mind a linear story but some really do so i figured i should put that in. And halo is imo lol.

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

the thing i didnt like about the story is that you can see the repercutions for your actions coming from a mile away. but the kung fu was alot of fun

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

I loved this game a lot, definitely my surprise GOTY. I am pretty sure they are making a sequel called Triad Wars or atleast that's what I heard. 

OS - Windows 8.1 Motherboard - ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Processor - AMD FX 8350 Black Edition RAM - 16GB 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport Graphics Card - Gigabyte Windforce 2 OC GTX 660 Power Supply - Corsair CX750M CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X60 Wireless Adapter - ASUS PCE-N15 PCI-E Adapter Fans - x3 Masscool blue LED 120mm Fans Case - Fractal Design Define R4

Monitor - Dell S2230MX 21.5-inch Keyboard - Logitech G105 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech Z130 Headsets/Headphones - Tt eSports Shock, AKG K240, California Headphones Laredo Phone - iPhone 4S

I loved this game a lot, definitely my surprise GOTY. I am pretty sure they are making a sequel called Triad Wars or atleast that's what I heard. 

Ya its not a direct squeal from what i hear but its in the same universe.

I would say that it was 8.34/10  :)

7.2 is the average between all of OPs scores for all the categories :P

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

7.2 is the average between all of OPs scores for all the categories :P

Ya but with the few things that didnt get in the score likehow much i enjoyed it and whatnot i added some points. this was an opinion review not a factual review.

I love this game , even though I played through it on Xbox the story and gameplay was superb

I bought this game a month ago but I haven't bother to play it yet.  I've been putting all my gaming time towards CSGO and BF4  :P

I bought this game a month ago but I haven't bother to play it yet.  I've been putting all my gaming time towards CSGO and BF4  :P

its really good. play it