LG 27EA83 vs Viewsonic VP2770

ToriksLV

Hello. Right now i am looking for a huge monitor upgrade. Recently i discovered Viewsonic VP 2770 and then LG 27EA83 which came out like month ago or so. I am wondering if anyone own one of these and what are you thoughts on them.

They are both pretty expensive but i dont mind to invest a little bit more money so i could live with it for few years. For now i am more convinced to get LG because it has beter colors (not true 10 bit but 8bit+frc with wide gamut), but it looks like it has PMW flicker and for some it has too oversaturated colors, Viewsonic VP 2770 doesnt have any of that. Both have pretty high input lag but i dont mind it. LG has better stand in my opinion, those who owns both them say that they are both pretty similar, viewsonic has a little more ghosting n stuff.

What are your thoughts, any of these worth the money, if so then which one and why. Thank you.

P.S.I plan to use it for everything - gaming, editing, browsing, movies etc... And yes i want 2560x1440 IPS

The ViewSonic uses white LED. So it's "standard" gamut. Hence why it doesn't have the slight over saturation problem. But you do what a blue tint issue, which affects all white LED back light monitors.

LG uses it's new GB-LED back light technology, which is perfect green and perfect blue LEDs, put very very close together, with a layer of red phosphor on them, to output a true white (well white enough for you to call it white, and not light blue) light, making the monitor wide gamut also. This give you the same amazing white light as a high-grade CFL back light provides, but with the advantages of LED's.

The ideal back light technology is RGB-LED, but that technology is still far too expensive. Only select professional grade monitors uses those.

What's cool with these monitors, is that you can control the illumination level of each color. So that means you can adjust the white level of the monitor, without touching the colors of the panel. So that means you can solve any tint issue for color critical work.

I wanted to tell you to go get the Dell U2711, but sadly it's no longer available. As it's replaced by the U2713H, which is more expensive (1000$), and has invert ghosting issue.

The over-saturation of wide gamut monitor, is because the monitor is not calibrated on the PC properly.

Now it vary between monitors, but usually, when you select the monitor AdobeRGB color profile on the monitor color profile menu, you want to set Windows color profile to use sRGB profile. This will adjust all images to the correct color range. You can also try the monitor color profile (it depends if the provided color profile for the monitor is for AdobeRGB color space or sRGB. So try and see). So pictures will look normal.

Please note that Chrome does not follow Windows color profiles, nor your games. Assuming you don't use Chrome, only games will be slightly over saturated.

This is the drawback of wide gamut monitor. It's funny, because we used to be that wide gamut monitor was "normal gamut", but since the area of white LED's, which are total crap, but the low price, made the average consumer jump on it.. so it became "standard" gamut as this is what the most people use. Well what can you do. It's all due that in the recent years, the consumer stop looking at quality, after sale service, and what the product provide and their experience for lowest price possible. Oh well.

Anyway, it also looks like that the LG monitor comes with a manufacture pre-color calibrated profiles. I think Adobe RGB and sRGB. This is really neat, as it makes your monitor ready to be used and taken full advantage of. Of course, there is no denying it's a quick calibration, so not the best, but it is better than nothing, and you don't do color critical work.

PLEASE, please please, please... bookmark this page, and come back to it, if what you pick, and when you have the monitor, please provide your feedback.

I really want to know. I'll use this information to help others.

alright i will do that, so far the only video review i could find is in this page, the author said he will do side by side comparison and full review later. check it:

[url=http://forum.techinferno.com/displays/3189-lg-27ea83-d-27-2560x1440-wide-gamut-ips.html]http://forum.techinferno.com/displays/3189-lg-27ea83-d-27-2560x1440-wide-gamut-ips.html[/url=http://forum.techinferno.com/displays/3189-lg-27ea83-d-27-2560x1440-wide-gamut-ips.html]

If i buy i will buy it in early june.