random freezes

Elyasaf

hi. this is my second question here, i'm new so i don't know in which category should i ask.

my pc specs:

motherboard: asus tuff x299 mark 2

cpu: i5-7640x.

gpu: nvidia 9600gt. (i know its old. its just temporary tho, i will buy the 1080 ti as soon as its price will go back to its msrp)

ram: corsair 16gb 3200 mhz.

psu: ippon 700w modular.

cooler: noctua nh-d15.

file system boot: biostar 120gb ssd.

gpu temps are 46c at idle.

cpu temps are 35-40 c (with a bit of overclocking, but it was working fine with it for a long time.)

the whole computer is new. i've build the pc few months ago. only the graphics card is used.

so i did update my bios lately and didn't touch the computer for 3 days.

i was doing the regular stuff. surfing the web, watch videos and playing light games (old gpu).

and than i noticed that my pc freezes suddenly. in videos its frozen video and the sound keeps going for couple of seconds,

and than the video goes fast, then its going back to normal.

while surfing the web, i see sometimes the marker freezes and the pc is not responding.

its important to mention that the mouse pointer keep moving regularly.

i've tried to: clean temp, to run memtest, to run chkdsk, to run sfc /scannow, to delete malware.

my question is, if you think that the problem is coming from the gpu, cpu, psu or ssd.

i suspect the gpu but the mouse is still working so i don't think its it.

thanks for the help, elyasaf.

-Moved to Troubleshooting-

It sounds like it would be a GPU problem. Do you have the same problem with the iGPU?

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

assuming you are running windows, check event viewer windows logs and look for any errors or warnings whose timestamp corresponds with the time your computer freezes. I experienced something similar and it was a driver issue.

6 minutes ago, Elyasaf said:

hi. this is my second question here, i'm new so i don't know in which category should i ask.

my pc specs:

motherboard: asus tuff x299 mark 2

cpu: i5-7640x.

gpu: nvidia 9600gt. (i know its old. its just temporary tho, i will buy the 1080 ti as soon as its price will go back to its msrp)

ram: corsair 16gb 3200 mhz.

psu: ippon 700w modular.

cooler: noctua nh-d15.

file system boot: biostar 120gb ssd.

gpu temps are 46c at idle.

cpu temps are 35-40 c (with a bit of overclocking, but it was working fine with it for a long time.)

the whole computer is new. i've build the pc few months ago. only the graphics card is used.

so i did update my bios lately and didn't touch the computer for 3 days.

i was doing the regular stuff. surfing the web, watch videos and playing light games (old gpu).

and than i noticed that my pc freezes suddenly. in videos its frozen video and the sound keeps going for couple of seconds,

and than the video goes fast, then its going back to normal.

while surfing the web, i see sometimes the marker freezes and the pc is not responding.

its important to mention that the mouse pointer keep moving regularly.

i've tried to: clean temp, to run memtest, to run chkdsk, to run sfc /scannow, to delete malware.

my question is, if you think that the problem is coming from the gpu, cpu, psu or ssd.

i suspect the gpu but the mouse is still working so i don't think its it.

thanks for the help, elyasaf.

Ok did you do a bios reset after you updated it? always do this. Also you may need to go into safe mode and run DDU to remove all videocard drivers than download restart and install

PSU Tier Ranking List

Ryzen 5 1600x|ASROCK                      |16GB DDR4 3400Mhz Corsair Vengence   | (partial build in progress)

FX-8350 AM3+| ASUS M5A990FX V1 | 32GB DDR3 2400Mhz Corsair Vengeance | Samsung EVO 850 PRO | Win 7 64 Pro | EVGA 750W G PSU | EVGA 750 ti 6GB | Corsair H100i v1

FX-8120 AM3+| ASUS M5A990FX V2 | 16GB DDR3 2400Mhz Corsair Vengeance | Samsung EVO 850 PRO | Win 7 64 Pro | EVGA 750W G PSU | EVGA 750 ti 6GB | Corsair H80i v1 

I5-2500K LGA  | ACER MOBO??         | 16GB DDR3 2400Mhz Corsair Vengeance | Samsung EVO 860 PRO | Win 10 64 Pro | EVGA 750W G PSU | EVGA 970 SC 4GB | Corsair H80i v1

11 minutes ago, Elyasaf said:

i5-7640x

HEY, YOU'RE THE GUY THAT BOUGHT THE 7640x!!!!!

Sorry couldn't resist.

I agree, with the GPU as most likely, and I agree with checking the windows event logs after it occurs to research it.

1 hour ago, TheGlenlivet said:

HEY, YOU'RE THE GUY THAT BOUGHT THE 7640x!!!!!

Sorry couldn't resist.

I agree, with the GPU as most likely, and I agree with checking the windows event logs after it occurs to research it.

ok ill try and tell you what i see

1 hour ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

-Moved to Troubleshooting-

It sounds like it would be a GPU problem. Do you have the same problem with the iGPU?

what do u mean igpu?

2 minutes ago, Elyasaf said:

what do u mean igpu?

integrated GPU. It's built into your CPU so you can use it without a graphics card.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

2 minutes ago, Elyasaf said:

ok ill try and tell you what i see

can you tell me how to check the

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

integrated GPU. It's built into your CPU so you can use it without a graphics card.

there is no igpu in x299 cpus man.

Just now, Elyasaf said:

can you tell me how to check the

there is no igpu in x299 cpus man.

but any way. can you help me read the event log?

and what do you mean by reset the bios? to defaults? it does it automatically.

4 minutes ago, Elyasaf said:

but any way. can you help me read the event log?

and what do you mean by reset the bios? to defaults? it does it automatically.

did you see my question? do you have an answer?

Just now, Elyasaf said:

did you see my question? do you have an answer?

i have checked the event log and saw a lot of errors. non of them looks like something that do those problems.

1 minute ago, Elyasaf said:

i have checked the event log and saw a lot of errors. non of them looks like something that do those problems.

i thought im gonna build a monster pc... im so sad to see its freezing because of a little windows problem :(

On 08/05/2018 at 8:31 PM, Elyasaf said:

i thought im gonna build a monster pc... im so sad to see its freezing because of a little windows problem :(

I think my problem was my overclocking.. I've downloaded prime95 and i was looking at my temp sensor and i saw 100 degree peak! It must have turned on the throttle and that's why i saw those freezes. 

now after i thought my problem is solved by turning the cpu clock to defaults, i see it wasn't solved.

idk why it happens and what to do