Corsair K70 Mechanical Keyboard - Backlighting Fault?

Go to solution Solved by ToKo1188,

Just an update on this issue with the faulty keyboard. I sent it back and the shop deemed it defective. So they sent me a new one straight away. The whole return process was quick and easy thanks to them using DPD as a carrier. Had a new K70 in less then a week! I love Scan.co.uk!!! They are definitely the best place in the UK to buy PC parts and accessories.

Regarding the new keyboard... no issues yet! (fingers crossed)

Thank you all for your suggestions and help!

Toko1188

So after years of thinking about buying a mechanical keyboard, I had finally purchased a keyboard that I thought would be the one that would last me for years, was of supreme quality, and matched my needs. Well, I have only had the Corsair Vengeance K70 gunmetal grey mechanical keyboard with Cherry MX Brown switches (in UK layout) for little over a month (mid November 2013) and the keyboard LEDs are breaking already! I now have 9 of the LEDs gone dim! I have barely used this keyboard! 

Here are some images of my Corsair K70 keyboard.

post-15796-0-47519600-1387839960.jpg

post-15796-0-70984400-1387839999.jpg

post-15796-0-81698300-1387840018.jpg

Keys that have gone dim are the following: 8, Home, /, S, G, |, Alt Gr, Ctrl, and .

Has anyone else had this issue? 

Have I missed something and can it be reset or fixed somehow?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated as I don't want to have to send it back.

Many thanks,

ToKo1188

I would just RMA it. I don't think that there is a way to fix that.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

So after years of thinking about buying a mechanical keyboard, I had finally purchased a keyboard that I thought would be the one that would last me for years, was of supreme quality, and matched my needs. Well, I have only had the Corsair Vengeance K70 gunmetal grey mechanical keyboard with Cherry MX Brown switches (in UK layout) for little over a month (mid November 2013) and the keyboard LEDs are breaking already! I now have 9 of the LEDs gone dim! I have barely used this keyboard! 

Here are some images of my Corsair K70 keyboard.

attachicon.gifIMAG0094.jpg

attachicon.gifIMAG0089.jpg

attachicon.gifIMAG0088.jpg

Keys that have gone dim are the following: 8, Home, /, S, G, |, Alt Gr, Ctrl, and .

Has anyone else had this issue? 

Have I missed something and can it be reset or fixed somehow?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated as I don't want to have to send it back.

Many thanks,

ToKo1188

Watch this and go to 6 minutes and 30 seconds. Where Linus talks about having however many keys lit up as you want. 

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

hey i might be getting this keyboard should i get blues or reds

hey i might be getting this keyboard should i get blues or reds

I think the feel of the blues are better. 

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

Thank you DudeWazap, I have written an email  to the place where I bought it (Scan.co.uk) to see if they will do anything. 

X1XNobleX1X - No I knew all about that feature but that is not the problem. 

I will just try to return it or exchange it for another one.

Thanks all!

ToKo1188

I think the feel of the blues are better. 

ok but what is the difference between the two? does either one improve game performance? the difference is just the push and sound right?  but i want the red becuase it looks better

Watch this and go to 6 minutes and 30 seconds. Where Linus talks about having however many keys lit up as you want. 

A few keys went dim. A feature of the keyboard isn't to have seemingly broken LEDs.

ok but what is the difference between the two? does either one improve game performance? the difference is just the push and sound right?  but i want the red becuase it looks better

Weight, the way it feels (tactile vs linear), and sounds vs no sound. Find which one you are most comfortable with. If you go just by aesthetics you might end up hating yourself in the long run.

A few keys went dim. A feature of the keyboard isn't to have seemingly broken LEDs.

Weight, the way it feels (tactile vs linear), and sounds vs no sound. Find which one you are most comfortable with. If you go just by aesthetics you might end up hating yourself in the long run.

if i go to ncix will they let me test?

if i go to ncix will they let me test?

If it's on display, yes. I've never been to a NCIX store so I don't know if they have them on display. A lot of stores have mechanical keyboards on display so you have a pretty high chance of finding them on display. My local electronics store (Fry's) has them on display.

Cherry MX Black Switches (Linear non-tactile switch) - Thought to be the best option for gaming.

Cherry MX Brown Switches (Linear tactile switch) – These are good for both typing and gaming. These switches help you to double tap faster.

Cherry MX Blue Switches (Tactile & Clicky Switch) – Thought to be the best for typing.  May cause some trouble with double-tapping.

Cherry MX Red Switches (Linear non-tactile switch) – Not as hard to push as the MX Black. This switch is considered to be a “gaming” switch.

I would never go by what looks better. Its all about the feel of the switch. You will not see the color of the switch anyways.

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update on this issue with the faulty keyboard. I sent it back and the shop deemed it defective. So they sent me a new one straight away. The whole return process was quick and easy thanks to them using DPD as a carrier. Had a new K70 in less then a week! I love Scan.co.uk!!! They are definitely the best place in the UK to buy PC parts and accessories.

Regarding the new keyboard... no issues yet! (fingers crossed)

Thank you all for your suggestions and help!

Toko1188