Cursed parts? Help please

Hi there.

I helped my friend to upgrade hes pc for gaming on really tight budget from fx4100 to i5 3470 plus ssd. I bought parts the 3470, 8gb 1600 corsair ram and Ga B75m D3v mobo with sandisc ssd, and stock cooler from 3770k. Ive had same gpu as him around, gtx 660 and I instelled all drivers etc with no problems... w7 updatee etc... However I was testing in games and i had random crash (i could hear in headphones brrrrrr) everything froze and pc restarted with no error message or bsod screen. Happened few times so ill checked whats up with ram and timing and I enabled XMP. I then tried all the stress tests and mem tests and was checking temps... cpu never hit 55c and gpu was ~75ish and I could get the pc to crash again... So I assumed the xmp fixed it as mybe ram was undervoltaged or w/e. Packed it up and sent to my friend and whoaa the problem is back and the xmp is enabled. So I could say it is not psu/gpu/ram fault. The restart is by far triggered by alt-tabbing out of game ... Crashes with no warrning. I told him to try different ram setting/cpu minimum state 5%/save windows error code(that turned up 0x80041003 but i guess is not related and software cant rr pc like that)/turn off automatic restart and some other stuff and no luck! And I feel like di**head now :/

My thoughts is that it is motherboard about to die i hope im wrong as them are expensive as hell ... 

Any help will be useful.

Thanksq

temps? is the psu enough?

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

Just now, aezakmi said:

temps? is the psu enough?

Yes as I said 55c max on cpu and 70ish gpu and  have ssd cant see its temps and i had 600w evga psu he have different as it happened on both it cant be psu...

18 hours ago, sviestish said:

Hi there.

I helped my friend to upgrade hes pc for gaming on really tight budget from fx4100 to i5 3470 plus ssd. I bought parts the 3470, 8gb 1600 corsair ram and Ga B75m D3v mobo with sandisc ssd, and stock cooler from 3770k. Ive had same gpu as him around, gtx 660 and I instelled all drivers etc with no problems... w7 updatee etc... However I was testing in games and i had random crash (i could hear in headphones brrrrrr) everything froze and pc restarted with no error message or bsod screen. Happened few times so ill checked whats up with ram and timing and I enabled XMP. I then tried all the stress tests and mem tests and was checking temps... cpu never hit 55c and gpu was ~75ish and I could get the pc to crash again... So I assumed the xmp fixed it as mybe ram was undervoltaged or w/e. Packed it up and sent to my friend and whoaa the problem is back and the xmp is enabled. So I could say it is not psu/gpu/ram fault. The restart is by far triggered by alt-tabbing out of game ... Crashes with no warrning. I told him to try different ram setting/cpu minimum state 5%/save windows error code(that turned up 0x80041003 but i guess is not related and software cant rr pc like that)/turn off automatic restart and some other stuff and no luck! And I feel like di**head now :/

My thoughts is that it is motherboard about to die i hope im wrong as them are expensive as hell ... 

Any help will be useful.

Thanksq

Check your reliability history for clues.

Hit start - type reliability history - open it - double click on any red errors that happened while the crash happened - copy and paste what they say here.

Look for any yellow warnings of failed updates and post them here the same.

I guess you might have to get your friend to do this bit since he has it right now.

3 hours ago, stateofpsychosis said:

Check your reliability history for clues.

Hit start - type reliability history - open it - double click on any red errors that happened while the crash happened - copy and paste what they say here.

Look for any yellow warnings of failed updates and post them here the same.

I guess you might have to get your friend to do this bit since he has it right now.

Got this... I told him to try DDU and see what happens ... I guess every restar had this error on ... he didnt show me any updates ... Ill keep posting if fixed. Thanks dude

unknown.png

29 minutes ago, sviestish said:

Got this... I told him to try DDU and see what happens ... I guess every restar had this error on ... he didnt show me any updates ... Ill keep posting if fixed. Thanks dude

unknown.png

Yea, DDU is a good suggestion since that code 117 points to a problem with the graphics card.

It could be a dead card worst comes to worse..

but it's not exactly one that'd be too expensive tor replace anyways.

Honestly, I'd get a gtx 970 or something for about 150-200 bucks used on auction if the card ends up dead.

A bit of an upgrade to a generation that's a lot less likely to die and will even support VR not the CPU does :P Actually, yea maybe something a bit cheaper if you can find a good price. No point in pairing a 970 with that CPU. Maybe a 1050 if they want a newer one after this debacle.

Just now, stateofpsychosis said:

Yea, DDU is a good suggestion since that code 117 points to a problem with the graphics card.

It could be a dead card worst comes to worse..

but it's not exactly one that'd be too expensive tor replace anyways.

Honestly, I'd get a gtx 970 or something for about 150-200 bucks used on auction if the card ends up dead.

A bit of an upgrade to a generation that's a lot less likely to die and will even support VR not the CPU does :P Actually, yea maybe something a bit cheaper if you can find a good price. No point in pairing a 970 with that CPU. Maybe a 1050 if they want a newer one after this debacle.

Yeah but 970 cant be on tight budget=£170 BUT cant be dead gpu cos I had same crashes when tested and I had evga gtx  660 and he have asus gtx 660... cant be we both had two dead cards and hes pc before upgrade was fine and the one Ive took my card too. But hopefuly DDU will help...Ill update when smth new happens.  Fingers crossed. 

1 minute ago, sviestish said:

Yeah but 970 cant be on tight budget=£170 BUT cant be dead gpu cos I had same crashes when tested and I had evga gtx  660 and he have asus gtx 660... cant be we both had two dead cards and hes pc before upgrade was fine and the one Ive took my card too. But hopefuly DDU will help...Ill update when smth new happens.  Fingers crossed. 

Okay, yea that's good news. Most likely not dead.

If DDU doesn't help, try a windows reinstall next.

None of us like doing it, but it's a quick way to rule out anymore software issues.

It seems DDU have fixes this random restart madness... 1 day with no problems.Finger crossed 

Sadly random restarts have come back with the BCCODE 117 ...

I have seen this before once and they did two things and I am not sure which was the solution, one was to boot with only one stick of ram in and then later on reboot but with both (you could try a program like memtest to see if it is the ram) They also ended up reinstalling windows from scratch which ended up leading to some other problems. I would try the ram first as that is a lot easier to do especially with memtest.

Optical Drive Poll: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1006309-optical-drive-survey/

Main Rig (Pulsar)

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X MOBO: MSI MEG X570 Unify RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RG(4x8gb) 3200Mhz 16-16-16-32 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Chromax (LTT Edition) Storage: Intel 6000p 128gb boot drive, Intel 665p 1tb (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1tb, Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass PSU: EVGA SupeNOVA G1+ 750W OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit  

FreeNAS Server (The Vault)

CPU: Xeon E5-2603 v3 MOBO: MSI X99 Tomahawk RAM: G.Skill Aegis (4x8gb) 3000Mhz 16-18-18-38 GPU: EVGA GT 710 Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Storage: Intel S3520 x2 for boot, x16 in RAIDZ for storage, Seagate Ironwolf 2tb (Striped will be a steam cache) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Tempered Glass PSU: Corsair CX750 750W

12 hours ago, AdvancedMicroDisapointment said:

I have seen this before once and they did two things and I am not sure which was the solution, one was to boot with only one stick of ram in and then later on reboot but with both (you could try a program like memtest to see if it is the ram) They also ended up reinstalling windows from scratch which ended up leading to some other problems. I would try the ram first as that is a lot easier to do especially with memtest.

Yes if you read my first post... I done memtest for 3hours and there is only 1 ram stick... Will tell him to try other slot...cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Update:So far things going same way- sh1t ;/ thinking of buying new stuff for him...