Lag spikes but no change in Clock or memory Mhz?

Go to solution Solved by faziten,
6 hours ago, k96 said:

@faziten

Another update:

Ticked on GPU temp, Clock and Usage + GPU Memory usage and clock + CPU clock + FPS on OSD inside msi afterburner, then went to EVGA precision X to apply my max overclock (ive maxed my card when i got it to see what it was capeable of) and went ingame, i swear to god, the GPU usage still drops every now and then, and so does my FPS.

Temps are 66C considering max OC, Core is at 2075mhz, GPU mem is fine at 2gb (considering i have 1gb left and using 1440p screen), CPU doesnt move and sitting fine at 3400mhz and 33C. Only thing that fluctuates is the damn GPU usage.

Ive never had the problem in the past 1-2 months, and the pc is basically 1-2 months old aswell, everything new. Maybe its the windows update? or fortnite update? i dont know at this point, and its just pissing me off. It started happening the seccond i downloaded crap ass "discord".

im going to hop on OW and see if anything happens there. Maybe, just maybe its fortnite and not the card or the PC.

Graphs show normal behavior. (GPU clock, usage, temperature and VRAM usage keep consistently high. No throttling whatsoever. )

Unfortunately
Fortnite is inconsistent perfromance wise to call any issue. If suggest you try the same test with Unigine to monitor if your gpu uses 99% or not. So far, nothing weird showed in graphs. Some videos from september 2017 revealed similar performance you are reporting here, so i'd call it normal and blame Fortnite.

alright, so i built my pc and everything was fine untill i downloaded discord and experienced lag ingame. Lets use fortnite as an example because this is where i experienced it. Ive capped the frame at 120 and its running fine without any lags, so then i installed discord and went in a chat room with my buddies, and now it drops randomly down, but when i check Gpu tweaker which i am using as a program to monitor the GPU neither the core clock or the memory clock drops, the vram doesnt drop either ?? so then it shouldnt lag? but it does.

So i removed discord and tried again, well still the same problem, it lags. and again, no difference in the monitoring, theres nothing happening, whats wrong? everything is also updated...

Its not the CPU either because its running at 35C during gaming, so its not throttling.

Specs:

Asus rog b350-gaming

asus gtx 1060 3gb dual oc

ryzen 1600

ballisitix 2x4 gb

x2 ssd - HDD on one of them

x1 500gb HDD

thanks for answers in advance

Do you mean lag or low frame rates? Maybe it's your network/internet connection if you're talking about lag...

Does you mum know you're here?

so... Fortnite works well alone, bad with Discord.

Have you tried using Skype? (Doesnt matter if you dont like it, its for testing purposes).

It could be a lot of things. But first things first.

35 minutes ago, VVoltor said:

Do you mean lag or low frame rates? Maybe it's your network/internet connection if you're talking about lag...

9 minutes ago, faziten said:

so... Fortnite works well alone, bad with Discord.

Have you tried using Skype? (Doesnt matter if you dont like it, its for testing purposes).

It could be a lot of things. But first things first.

My bad, i ment to say fps drops. Suddenly i go from 120 to 80 or even 60. Ive also tried playing after removing discord, fps drops till there?

7 minutes ago, k96 said:

My bad, i ment to say fps drops. Suddenly i go from 120 to 80 or even 60. Ive also tried playing after removing discord, fps drops till there?

some things got lost in translation.

After the frame drop in fortnite, you uninstalled discord or you closed it.?

Try uninstalling (if not done yet) and reboot your pc. Test again and post results here. (remember you should test with minimal diferences if you can, you cant compare a match where everyone is shooting your face with another watching the sky.

cheers.

4 minutes ago, faziten said:

some things got lost in translation.

After the frame drop in fortnite, you uninstalled discord or you closed it.?

Try uninstalling (if not done yet) and reboot your pc. Test again and post results here. (remember you should test with minimal diferences if you can, you cant compare a match where everyone is shooting your face with another watching the sky.

cheers.

Sorry, kinda hard to translate to english. I uninstalled discord then went ingame to try it out, still was experiencing the drops, i have however not tried restarting after uninstalling discord. I will try that a little later tonight and post results, im on my way home right now.

The bizzare part is that all my monitoring shows 0 signs of drops, or the gpu not functioning as it should,  im confused as tot what the root of the problem is.

@faziten

Okay, so i tried now when i turned on my pc. It still dips in fortnite. frames capped at 120, it works fine then suddenly dips to like 105 and the frame dip is noticeble because it kinda freezes for a millisecond, what is the problem then? I alt-tabbed the instant the frames dipped and saw at the graph in GPU Tweaker, but there was no dips in either core clock, mem clock or anything else. Its not maxing out Vram either, the temps are fine, at 64-65 and everything is being run just like its supose to.

Cpu is at 33 degrees ish and stock settings, its not throttling either, its barely being used. Memory is also not a problem, got plenty left.

I dont understand, theres nothing wrong but the frames still drop???????

11 minutes ago, k96 said:

@faziten

Okay, so i tried now when i turned on my pc. It still dips in fortnite. frames capped at 120, it works fine then suddenly dips to like 105 and the frame dip is noticeble because it kinda freezes for a millisecond, what is the problem then? I alt-tabbed the instant the frames dipped and saw at the graph in GPU Tweaker, but there was no dips in either core clock, mem clock or anything else. Its not maxing out Vram either, the temps are fine, at 64-65 and everything is being run just like its supose to.

Cpu is at 33 degrees ish and stock settings, its not throttling either, its barely being used. Memory is also not a problem, got plenty left.

I dont understand, theres nothing wrong but the frames still drop???????

ok, lets diagnose where does this come from.

Download and install MSI afterburner, launch it play 5 minutes of fortnite and post here a screenshot of the statistics graphs. (Please include all graphs).

On top of that, where is fortnite installed? HDD, SSD?

cheers!

15 minutes ago, faziten said:

ok, lets diagnose where does this come from.

Download and install MSI afterburner, launch it play 5 minutes of fortnite and post here a screenshot of the statistics graphs. (Please include all graphs).

On top of that, where is fortnite installed? HDD, SSD?

cheers!

Do i remove GPU Tweak or just exit the program so it doesnt interfere with MSI afterburner?

Fortnite is on my 500gb HDD, while the OS is on one of my 120gb SSD's.

Also, just for the sake of it, i added GPU usage to the graph tab, it fluctuates between 100-87, but theres no noticeble drops to like 70 or 60 where the frames drop. Its fluctuating even at smoothly 120fps. I guess this is just normal then.

@faziten

Okay, so this is how it looks like.

Where the gpu usage drops to 0 the gam ended and i alt tabbed out.

Apperntly the GPU usage drops to 66 and then to 46 as you can see in the dips, but it flucuates alot as you can see aswell. its not 100% or 99%. I guess thats the problem?

Skjermbilde.PNG

@faziten

Another update:

Ticked on GPU temp, Clock and Usage + GPU Memory usage and clock + CPU clock + FPS on OSD inside msi afterburner, then went to EVGA precision X to apply my max overclock (ive maxed my card when i got it to see what it was capeable of) and went ingame, i swear to god, the GPU usage still drops every now and then, and so does my FPS.

Temps are 66C considering max OC, Core is at 2075mhz, GPU mem is fine at 2gb (considering i have 1gb left and using 1440p screen), CPU doesnt move and sitting fine at 3400mhz and 33C. Only thing that fluctuates is the damn GPU usage.

Ive never had the problem in the past 1-2 months, and the pc is basically 1-2 months old aswell, everything new. Maybe its the windows update? or fortnite update? i dont know at this point, and its just pissing me off. It started happening the seccond i downloaded crap ass "discord".

im going to hop on OW and see if anything happens there. Maybe, just maybe its fortnite and not the card or the PC.

6 hours ago, k96 said:

@faziten

Another update:

Graphs show normal behavior. (GPU clock, usage, temperature and VRAM usage keep consistently high. No throttling whatsoever. )

Unfortunately
Fortnite is inconsistent perfromance wise to call any issue. If suggest you try the same test with Unigine to monitor if your gpu uses 99% or not. So far, nothing weird showed in graphs. Some videos from september 2017 revealed similar performance you are reporting here, so i'd call it normal and blame Fortnite.

8 hours ago, faziten said:

Unfortunately

I blame fortnite aswell, sat up all night yesterday, slept like 5 am after researching the issue. Fortnite is the issue. Patch 3.5 gave stuttering and fps dips, patch 3.5.2 (current) same thing or made it worse and the patch came out 19 april, the day i started having issues. Read replies and forum posts of people with 1070 and 1070 ti having issues, even people with 1080 having unplayable framerates.

Went to nvidia driver reddit page, most people seemed to lean towards driver 388.71 for gtx 1060 users, 395.31 is current. However, i do not notice any problems in overwatch, playing ultra with no issues what so ever. So its not the driver, nor the card or any bottleneck, guess its fortnite.

Thanks for looking into it though, nice to have someone help along and confirm :)