LG GRAM 13.3 I7 Cliking noise HELP!

after watching the video on the LG GRAM I got one but a couple of seconds after the first boot it started doing some clicking or ticking noises. because the laptop has no moving parts besides the fan (that I know of) I figured it might be the fan but IDK. Linus did not mention that. the noise is a little subtle and it comes every 5 seconds and it lasts for like 3 seconds.

• 1 year later...

Same issue with my LG Gram 13Z980. Did you ever discover the cause or the solution?

LG Call Center says they have no knowledge of this ever happening, but Google has many reports of this issue

LG Tech support would need to have my laptop for a month to review and maybe fix, so I welcome any assistance or advice you can offer!

Here’s link to the sound.. https://share.icloud.com/photos/0RNWkxA_C1_OO-DcMCpT_SKKQ#San_Francisco,_CA

On 4/20/2018 at 1:53 AM, sacamoises said:

after watching the video on the LG GRAM I got one but a couple of seconds after the first boot it started doing some clicking or ticking noises. because the laptop has no moving parts besides the fan (that I know of) I figured it might be the fan but IDK. Linus did not mention that. the noise is a little subtle and it comes every 5 seconds and it lasts for like 3 seconds.

It could be the fan, try this, run a test (try aida64), and notice if with more CPU stress it kicks in. I don't own one, but if it last for not so much and is subtle, it could be that the fan is spinning faster or touching something or both. Notice if there is correlation with CPU stress, and if there is you have nothing to worry about. When you do the test pur an update

PC:

Spoiler

I9-9900k @4,8Ghz (1.131V), 32 gigs G.Skill (2*16) @3Ghzz390 Maximum XI Formula, Kraken x62, 2080ti Matrix @1.9Ghz, 970 evo 256 gigs860 evo 500 gigs, 2tb hdd Seagate, CXM750WH500

HTPCs:

Spoiler

Razer Blade 14 (2015)(I broke the keyboard)

Lenovo Ideapad 100-15idb (the screen was broken)

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo Yogabook x91f

Lenovo Thinkpad T480 

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Monitor - MSI Optix MAG241C

Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

Keyboard - Corsair K70 MK.2

Headphones - Corsair Void Pro

8 hours ago, CuriousWe said:

Same issue with my LG Gram 13Z980. Did you ever discover the cause or the solution?

LG Call Center says they have no knowledge of this ever happening, but Google has many reports of this issue

LG Tech support would need to have my laptop for a month to review and maybe fix, so I welcome any assistance or advice you can offer!

Here’s link to the sound.. https://share.icloud.com/photos/0RNWkxA_C1_OO-DcMCpT_SKKQ#San_Francisco,_CA

Watching the video I think it's the fan touching something, I don't reccomend taking it apart by yourself if you are not secure, but at least in your case, it's the fan touching

PC:

Spoiler

I9-9900k @4,8Ghz (1.131V), 32 gigs G.Skill (2*16) @3Ghzz390 Maximum XI Formula, Kraken x62, 2080ti Matrix @1.9Ghz, 970 evo 256 gigs860 evo 500 gigs, 2tb hdd Seagate, CXM750WH500

HTPCs:

Spoiler

Razer Blade 14 (2015)(I broke the keyboard)

Lenovo Ideapad 100-15idb (the screen was broken)

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo Yogabook x91f

Lenovo Thinkpad T480 

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Monitor - MSI Optix MAG241C

Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

Keyboard - Corsair K70 MK.2

Headphones - Corsair Void Pro

I had a clicking sound also upon every reboot on my Alienware Area-51M laptop. I was so puzzled as it was still brand new but I ignored it. When I upgraded the 2TB HDD that it came with to an SSD, the sound went away so it was the HDD doing it.

Alienware m16 R1 | AMD Ryzen 9 7945HX | SK Hynix 64 GB 5200 MHz DDR5 RAM | GeForce RTX 4090 16 GB GDDR6 | 16" QHD+ (2560 x 1600) 240Hz, 3ms 300-nits Screen | 2x Samsung 990 PRO 4TB SSDs + WD_BLACK SN770M 2TB SSD | Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX210 | Windows 11 Pro