Just newb things

Go to solution Solved by SkilledRebuilds,

I doubt the B360 board have (MCE) Multicore enhancement (AllCoresTurboMAX)
So your likely going to have 4.3Ghz at 1-2Cores being used a lot but without much load on the other cores,.. but with 6x Cores in use it will be 4.0Ghz Max across them all.
Quickly Youtube search "What is Turbo boost"

Then search i5 8400 & B360 vs z370, MCE is given on Z boards,.. but likely not B-Boards.

DONT TOUCH BCLK TO OVERCLOCK MODERN CPU'S
It will up the frequencies of your PCIE slot past 100Mhz,.. your USB ports can die in due time,.. many other factors arise for the WORSE.
Stick to Multipliers (K CPU's) when Overclocking.

I'm sure this is a derp question.... umm... on the i5 - 8600 box it says it can go 3.10-4.30Ghz so does it mean I can overclock it even though it is not a K variant and also what about the "turbo boost" thing. Does it mean there is an option in the bios which I can literally turbo boost it? Pls help.... I don't have much knowledge about this :/ 

The 8600 is locked so you can't raise the multiplier to oc. 

The 8600 runs at 3.1ghz at load but can turbo up to 4.3ghz when needed and if temps aren't too high. It's automatic, is similar to an adaptive oc, and enabled by default.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

the Turbo boost is turned on while under a larger load than the os and a few applications are running. meaning that while gaming or transcoding etc. it will clock at 4.3 ghz. I wouldn't bother to overclock this cpu. no need to go into bios and switch things around!

I doubt the B360 board have (MCE) Multicore enhancement (AllCoresTurboMAX)
So your likely going to have 4.3Ghz at 1-2Cores being used a lot but without much load on the other cores,.. but with 6x Cores in use it will be 4.0Ghz Max across them all.
Quickly Youtube search "What is Turbo boost"

Then search i5 8400 & B360 vs z370, MCE is given on Z boards,.. but likely not B-Boards.

DONT TOUCH BCLK TO OVERCLOCK MODERN CPU'S
It will up the frequencies of your PCIE slot past 100Mhz,.. your USB ports can die in due time,.. many other factors arise for the WORSE.
Stick to Multipliers (K CPU's) when Overclocking.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

3 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

The 8600 is locked so you can't raise the multiplier to oc. 

The 8600 runs at 3.1ghz at load but can turbo up to 4.3ghz when needed and if temps aren't too high. It's automatic, is similar to an adaptive oc, and enabled by default.

Ohhh so the chip is like "crap i'm having harder time doing tasks now, time to boost the frequency" like that in a nut shell?

2 minutes ago, ADM_Foxtrot said:

Ohhh so the chip is like "crap i'm having harder time doing tasks now, time to boost the frequency" like that in a nut shell?

That's one way to look at it. It boosts when the extra performance can be used and doesn't to save power when it's unnecessary. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

3 minutes ago, ADM_Foxtrot said:

Yes,.. but with "more tasks" being spread to multiple cores,.. not just sticking to one or two cores of usage... it WILL slowdown between 4.0-4.3Ghz
The more you load its multiple CPU's,.. the Turbo drops a step,.. but with only a light load,.. Goes Further Up.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Mother of god this place is heaven..... Thank you guys for the answers and now i'm enlightened I :D

May the PC live on forever! 

1 minute ago, ADM_Foxtrot said:

Mother of god this place is heaven..... Thank you guys for the answers and now i'm enlightened I :D

May the PC live on forever! 

:P

Encode Video (6Cores/6Threads Used) = 4Ghz Turboclock

Games (using 2-4Cores/Threads) = 4.1-4.3Ghz with maybe a little fluctuation due to game loads.

4 minutes ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

:P

Encode Video (6Cores/6Threads Used) = 4Ghz Turboclock

Games (using 2-4Cores/Threads) = 4.1-4.3Ghz with maybe a little fluctuation due to game loads.

oh btw can the i5 8600 stream while gaming for example the battle field 1??