"IP Address Changing over WiFi while in Use"

TunerSteve

I am currently having an issue where while using my network(Modem->Router->PC all via Ethernet) that my network drops for a split second then comes back

I had my ISP come out so many times and they replaced every single line known to man from the mainline to the house to the coax in the wall all the way to the modem.

It always seems to fix it then suddenly...dropped frames and random disconnects happen again.(2 PC setup for streaming)

I contacted my ISP again to get to the bottom of it again and they were monitoring my Connect over a week to see anything irregular and told me that my "IP Address is Changing over Wifi"

WTF does that even mean lol. I have the Wifi function on my router turned off to prevent anyone connecting to it and just want to use it for the 2 PCs.

Is there any other way to diagnose what the hell is going on? All signals/power levels for Upstreams and Downstreams are perfect. So Im ruling the modem out...and when it disconnects i dont see the lights on the modem change at all.

Surfboard SB6183 Modem

Linksys WRT AC1900 Router

Maybe he is saying that the router is reassigning new internal IP addresses to each device connected to it, whether over WiFi or through Ethernet. I think it is called DHCP leasing or something, I am not the greatest with networking but I believe your router may be set to reset each devices internal IP address which causes a momentary drop in connection until they can obtain a new IP and reconnect to the network. I may be wrong though because as I said, I am not the biggest expert in networking.

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

7 minutes ago, TunerSteve said:

Is it like once every 24hours?

it can happen a few times a day

on my shorter streaming nights itll happen at least once

what I dont get is if it needs a new IP...why would it change it while its being used...why not wait until the network is idle?

is there anyway to prevent it from changing? its becoming more and more infuriating especially when something epic happens and you go back to highlight your VOD and its all ruined by dropped frames and skipping

You could go into the properties of the wireless NIC and set a static IP and see if that stops it.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Without more information on your router I can only generalize, but their are 2 things you can try,

1. As Lurick said, give your PC a static IP address that's within your router's subnet, home router's typically run the range of xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.2 to xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.254 (if it's netmask is 255.255.255.0) and give it DNS settings (8.8.8.8, and 8.8.4.4). However if that does work, long term your gonna have to go into your router and exclude the address you manually assigned yourself to prevent DHCP conflicts (Some routers exclude them automatically, but better safe then sorry). Or you can limit the range of the DHCP addresses from like .2-200 or something and assign the trouble PC address outside of that range.

2. Go into your router, and check your DHCP lease time settings, make sure it's set to the normal 1440 minutes (24 hours) try increasing it 10080 minutes (7 days) and see if it changes the problem at all. I wouldn't recommend one week DHCP leases if you have a lot of different devices connecting to your network all the time, but it shouldn't be a problem for a standard home network. 

The actual how to do these changes is different between router models, and OS's so your gonna have to do some googling, Good Luck.

Please record your public IP (google “what is my IP” or go to www.ipchicken.com) and your computer’s current IP address (or set your computer to a static IP as mentioned above). Then after you get another slight disconnect, look up both public and computer IPs again and see if one changed. Check this over a few disconnects and let us know the result for more help.

EDIT: By the way, the ISP should have no access to your router nor anything connected to it, so they have no way of detecting that your computer’s IP address changed. That sounds like a BS line to me.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: