Weird issue

brucebruce19

Hello,

So this has been sort of a weird issue for me and honestly I'm quite stumped at the time. I have had 3 desktops over the last couple years (I'll bring up y I say that in a minute). The one I'm having the issue with now is speced as following

-xeon x5680 (no overclock)

-intel dx58so (updated bios)

-corsair rmx850

-r9 290 aio liquid cooled

-8gigs crucial ram

-240gb SanDisk SSD

-nzxt case (I tested issue with side panel open n closed as the case was hitting the heatsink)

(This was a budget build I was doing and was amazing to find the parts and has performed quite well for the price I paid total)

Now to the problem, it completely locks up randomly. Mostly when a buddy plays overwatch with me as this is not my main PC, but from time to time it will do it when nothing is running on the desktop.i have tried updating all drivers along with installing older amd drivers since I thought the issue at first was just the gpu drivers. All temps are quite good with the cpu having a hyper Evo 212 on it n staying roughly around 45 under a small load, the gpu highest temp recorded is 50 under a heavy load. The only thing I feel hot is the PSU which I mounted differently in case it wasn't getting enough ventilation. 

I have ran memtest, no issues. Checked the SSD health, no issues. Reinstalled windows 3 times now, issues still persists. I checked all contacts on motherboard, capacitors and have reseated all cables as well.

I mentioned my others PC's before because one thing I thought it could have been was the Corsair k70 keyboard I have now used between all PC's n honestly I just realized was somehow locking up machines as all of them have done it at some point n that was the only thing they had in common, once I switched the keyboard on my current main build it has never happened since. 

I know I'm forgetting some other stuff I have tried but cannot remember right now. Any other ideas anyone? 

14 minutes ago, brucebruce19 said:

Hello,

So this has been sort of a weird issue for me and honestly I'm quite stumped at the time. I have had 3 desktops over the last couple years (I'll bring up y I say that in a minute). The one I'm having the issue with now is speced as following

-xeon x5680 (no overclock)

-intel dx58so (updated bios)

-corsair rmx850

-r9 290 aio liquid cooled

-8gigs crucial ram

-240gb SanDisk SSD

-nzxt case (I tested issue with side panel open n closed as the case was hitting the heatsink)

(This was a budget build I was doing and was amazing to find the parts and has performed quite well for the price I paid total)

Now to the problem, it completely locks up randomly. Mostly when a buddy plays overwatch with me as this is not my main PC, but from time to time it will do it when nothing is running on the desktop.i have tried updating all drivers along with installing older amd drivers since I thought the issue at first was just the gpu drivers. All temps are quite good with the cpu having a hyper Evo 212 on it n staying roughly around 45 under a small load, the gpu highest temp recorded is 50 under a heavy load. The only thing I feel hot is the PSU which I mounted differently in case it wasn't getting enough ventilation. 

I have ran memtest, no issues. Checked the SSD health, no issues. Reinstalled windows 3 times now, issues still persists. I checked all contacts on motherboard, capacitors and have reseated all cables as well.

I mentioned my others PC's before because one thing I thought it could have been was the Corsair k70 keyboard I have now used between all PC's n honestly I just realized was somehow locking up machines as all of them have done it at some point n that was the only thing they had in common, once I switched the keyboard on my current main build it has never happened since. 

I know I'm forgetting some other stuff I have tried but cannot remember right now. Any other ideas anyone? 

Yea, that keyboard could be it. Could be a bad driver for it. It wouldn't be the first time I've seen some peripheral cause a computer to lock up or worse. Maybe it's driver is actually for something older like windows xp or something. Try removing it and see if the issue comes back.

After posting I did try it, it froze/locked up once but after rebooting it never happened again where as before it would still do it. There is another issue for sure but I'll take once vs constantly/intermittently

So I have been doing a bunch of bench's and trying to stress the system under various situations. 

It hasn't frozen, locked up, bsod or red screen until I hooked up a Xbox one controller. So my assumption is that something with that driver n this board or other components are not playing nice at all. Guess someone will have to learn how to use a mouse n keyboard more often ?