CPU/Computer Performance Issues

SpectrumLOD

Hi! This is my first time posting on this forum so I apologize if my formatting is not correct. I have been having some trouble with my CPU performance over the last few months and figured this was the best place to come to hopefully receive the help I am in desperate need of.

Whenever I play ANY game it uses 60% or more of my CPU regardless of graphical settings or GPU allocation preference. This issue started a couple months ago out of nowhere after i had been streaming for a few weeks. With all of the necessary programs running along with whatever game I am playing at the time my CPU usage always hits 100% and makes streaming and playing games impossible because of stuttering and frame skips. I run games at 1920x1080 and TRY and run most games between 120-144fps to take advantage of the 144hz monitor I own.

In BIOS it says my CPU is running at its base clock of 3.8ghz but in task manager it says its speed is 4.17ghz, I am relatively inexperienced when it comes to computers but I know this is not normal.

My concern is that my build is more than powerful enough to stream and play games and I cannot figure out what is causing this issue for the life of me! I will post my specs below in hopes of someone helping me with this issue along with all methods I have tried previously to fix this issue for as much information as possible.

Thank you in advance to anyone that can help me solve this issue! 

CPU: i5 7600K

Motherboard: Asus Maximus IX Code

GPU: ASUS Strix GTX 1070

RAM: 16GB DDR4 3000mhz Corsair Vengeance RGB LED 

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1, 80+ GOLD 650W

Cooler: 120mm Corsair H60 AIO

Boot Drive: 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo

Scratch Drive: 1TB WD Blue

Attempted Fixes: 

Default BIOS settings reset

Changed to XMP BIOS profile

NVIDIA Control Panel settings optimized for GPU Performance

Defrag hard drives 

Complete virus scan

Thank you again to anyone who might have a potential fix! 

overclock it if you haven't

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, themctipers said:

overclock it if you haven't

I am a complete novice when it comes to overclocking. Can you give me a step-by-step walkthrough on what to change for a safe and stable OC? 

overclocking won't help, that i5 is being core killed because more than one program upgraded/updated to use more cores in the last year. your fix is to set affinity for the game and for the recorder, but you are still stuck with 4 cores. so yeah, 4 cores is a limitation. been a long time that 4 cores was the "it" thing, but 4 cores. that's the problem.

build being more than powerful enough to stream and game at 144fps is probably a stretch. You could run task manager to see how the cpu resources look and like mentioned above either change affinities or overclock but ultimately it sounds like you may be wanting the build to do more than it can handle. You might consider moving to an i7 

CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+ / MOBO: Abit NF7-S2G / GPU: WinFast A180BT 64MB / RAM: Mushkin DDR333 256MBx2 / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120GB

if you don't know you can set affinity by opening the task manager and going to processes then right clicking on the task you want to set affinity for, from there you can figure it out because while it takes longer to type this, if you can't i couldn't possibly help you. but with 4 cores it is going to become increasingly impossible to stream and run from a single computer over time, and really quickly right now because the next generation of consumer level procs are going to be 6 and 8 thread hyperthreaded parts, so 4 threads is just not going to be usable anymore in the next few (three at most) years.

9 hours ago, SpectrumLOD said:

Hi! This is my first time posting on this forum so I apologize if my formatting is not correct. I have been having some trouble with my CPU performance over the last few months and figured this was the best place to come to hopefully receive the help I am in desperate need of.

Whenever I play ANY game it uses 60% or more of my CPU regardless of graphical settings or GPU allocation preference. This issue started a couple months ago out of nowhere after i had been streaming for a few weeks. With all of the necessary programs running along with whatever game I am playing at the time my CPU usage always hits 100% and makes streaming and playing games impossible because of stuttering and frame skips. I run games at 1920x1080 and TRY and run most games between 120-144fps to take advantage of the 144hz monitor I own.

In BIOS it says my CPU is running at its base clock of 3.8ghz but in task manager it says its speed is 4.17ghz, I am relatively inexperienced when it comes to computers but I know this is not normal.

My concern is that my build is more than powerful enough to stream and play games and I cannot figure out what is causing this issue for the life of me! I will post my specs below in hopes of someone helping me with this issue along with all methods I have tried previously to fix this issue for as much information as possible.

Thank you in advance to anyone that can help me solve this issue! 

CPU: i5 7600K

Motherboard: Asus Maximus IX Code

GPU: ASUS Strix GTX 1070

RAM: 16GB DDR4 3000mhz Corsair Vengeance RGB LED 

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1, 80+ GOLD 650W

Cooler: 120mm Corsair H60 AIO

Boot Drive: 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo

Scratch Drive: 1TB WD Blue

Attempted Fixes: 

Default BIOS settings reset

Changed to XMP BIOS profile

NVIDIA Control Panel settings optimized for GPU Performance

Defrag hard drives 

Complete virus scan

Thank you again to anyone who might have a potential fix! 

It's normal for the CPU to ramp up like that. 

That's just the turbo frequency.

Best off monitoring the task manager next while in your game to see if anything else is pegging the CPU for a lot of usage. Could be some kind of bloatware.

That's often the case.

If you installed everything on the support page for your motherboard while setting up your computer instead of just the essentials, it could even be one of those.

Asus motherboards are top notch, but the software they come with is garbage.

Stay away from AI suite, GPU Tweak II, or any of those that you don't need.