need help picking a new microphone ? .

WhiteWolf37

Hi i am a uni student who wants a microphone to simple speak to friends when on discord but one that would be good at recording voice over since i am studying game development and will probably use it to record some dialogue at some point. I have literally no idea what to look for, i dont know brands or products except for the blue yeti and razer siren. However i am worried i am buying a reputation and not a quality product so if i could get some help from somebody who knows a thing or to about this kind of product i would be grateful before i go wasting my money. budeget would be between 50 - 120 pounds because i want some left to buy a stand and shock mount. i am also worried about keyboard sounds coming through the microphone.

If your also buying a stand and shock mount,the Blue Snowball seems to match your budget,you might need a pop filter too since i see some people getting real close to the microphone to get that crispy sound,you can also tweak it so you dont have to do it so up close,you can find some guide to tweak this online,other than that, a blue yeti with a cheap stand would be simpler

2 minutes ago, Nakara said:

If your also buying a stand and shock mount,the Blue Snowball seems to match your budget,you might need a pop filter too since i see some people getting real close to the microphone to get that crispy sound,you can also tweak it so you dont have to do it so up close,you can find some guide to tweak this online,other than that, a blue yeti with a cheap stand would be simpler

would you consider the blue yeti better then the razer siren ?

2 minutes ago, WhiteWolf37 said:

would you consider the blue yeti better then the razer siren ?

i have no experience with the razer seiren, you might want to look into other people's review

Shock mount will do wonders for preventing reverb from typing. I'd recommend the Blue Yeti. The farther you can get it from your keyboard, especially if it's a clacky mechanical like the Cherry MX Blue or Razer Greens, the better. 

6 minutes ago, Nakara said:

i have no experience with the razer seiren, you might want to look into other people's review

I haven't used the Seiren either but I use to be 100% team Green. I have not been impressed lately. I just retired a Blackwidow Tournament edition after random keys started to light up on boot and stayed a solid color without changing. Tried difference computers and reinstalls of the software with no luck. At that was after 6 months of other issues with disconnects and usb issues with my other razer gear. (I'm totally razer free now). After years on team green they've lost my trust. Spent too much time on their phone and digital store in my opinion and less on their core hardware lineup. BUT others experiences may be different. Just sharing mine.

4 minutes ago, JDubDev said:

I haven't used the Seiren either but I use to be 100% team Green. I have not been impressed lately. I just retired a Blackwidow Tournament edition after random keys started to light up on boot and stayed a solid color without changing. Tried difference computers and reinstalls of the software with no luck. At that was after 6 months of other issues with disconnects and usb issues with my other razer gear. (I'm totally razer free now). After years on team green they've lost my trust. Spent too much time on their phone and digital store in my opinion and less on their core hardware lineup. BUT others experiences may be different. Just sharing mine.

Agreed, Razer have been getting bad reputation on build quality recently from what i've seen, but my friend seems to be satisfied with his Blackwidow Tournament 2013, no issues since purchased yet, but back to the topic,i would prefer the Yeti,it has been used and proven to be reliable by streamers and content creators,and seems like you can find more cheaper (refurbished) Yetis around.

there is always the option of using something like the AntLion ModMic.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

2 minutes ago, Tsuki said:

I had to like your comment just because of the wheel of time reference in your signature block!

3 minutes ago, Tsuki said:

see i have a pair of astro a40tr's but the mic is not operating properly so i kind of want a standalone microphone for my setup, seperate of my amazing astros 

1 hour ago, Tsuki said:

2 hours ago, WhiteWolf37 said:

i am also worried about keyboard sounds coming through the microphone

In that case what Tsuki recommended is the safest bet, especially if you own mechanical keyboard. Siren, Yeti or any other large diaphragm condenser WILL pickup a lot of surrounding noise. 

2 hours ago, JDubDev said:

I had to like your comment just because of the wheel of time reference in your signature block!

haha  thanks :D

we also have a really awesome rep @AAJoe who can better answer questions about the ModMic.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

We have a cool blog post about our noise reduction on our ModMic here:

https://antlionaudio.com/blogs/news/does-modmic-noise-canceling-work

And we're actually working on one where we test like every color cherry mx switch in a controlled environment so you can see how loud it would sound. Sadly this won't be available for another week or two :(.

I'd be lying if I said our mic won't pickup keyboard noise no matter what. It has the advantage of usually being further from the keyboard than a traditional desktop mic (and a massive advantage if you don't use a shock mount, since sound travels through your desk into the mic otherwise).

Jerry Neutron does a nice video where he types while talking between the two modes - though I dont think he lists what switches he's using.

As for budget, the ModMic starts at $43 USD, but its more expensive in the UK due to taxes and whatnot. If you need (or want) to upgrade your headphones also you're probably looking at another $50-$80 though. It does come with multiple base clasps so you can upgrade later and still use your ModMic. Assuming you don't lose them :) (otherwise we sell extras)

Director of Marketing for Antlion Audio, creators of the ModMic.

More info at www.ModMic.com

Ask questions, I'm friendly!