Audio question for gaming.

Draeft-Lore

Hey quick question I need answering from the Audio Nerds. I mean that with love. No homo, I mean brotherly love.  The Items I am looking at are bellow.  If there is something else you would recommend for gaming first, I do love music in my down time from gaming thus why I am looking into this. I would like to keep this at the price of my parts or lower. 

Headset: Massdrop x AKG K7XX or Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX Headphones - $200
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/akg-k7xx-massdrop-first-edition-headphones

or

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx

Headset attached Mic: Antlion Audio ModMic Attachable Boom Microphone w/ Noise Cancelling and Mute Switch - $55
https://www.amazon.com/Antlion-Audio-ModMic-Attachable-Microphone/dp/B00R98JVVU/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1523376713&sr=8-4&keywords=mod+mic

USB Desktop DAC and AMP: Creative Labs Sound blaster X7 Limited Edition (It would also work for my xbox one that I play with friends on.) - $500
https://us.creative.com/p/amplifiers/sound-blaster-x7

I am in the middle of planning out a gaming PC to get into competitive OW.  For those wondering why I am saying I want gaming before music.

Edited because people keep referring to the original post instead of my inquiries bellow.  The headset and the Dac/amp combo are things I can be swayed on.  The mic is not, because I do not want a desktop mic on my already crowded desk.  I have room for a DAC and AMP but that's basically it. 

My current setup is a Razer Kraken Pro v2 and a Creative Labs Sound Blaster G1.

I am not sure how useful my post will be but looking at what your coming from and looking to go to (specifically the headphones) it seems a pretty unbalanced change financially.

If I were you I would set a reasonable budget, say $500 for the whole audio set up and then ask the forum what we would recommend. 

I can't advise on specific products (outside of what I have owned) as I only recently went from Sennheiser PC360 headset (no amp/dac, great for FPS gaming - I thought) to the excellent AKG K612 Pro's (entry studio headphones with big soundstage) and mod mic and in a few days I will be setting up a set of modded Fostex T50RP's (planar magnetic headphones apparently with fantastic imaging) with suitiable amp which I am hoping will be even better! I also only game at amateur competitive level, and not in OW.

CPU Intel i7 8700K @5Ghz Motherboard ROG Maximus Hero 10 RAM Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz 

GPU MSI Gaming X 1080ti Case Thermaltake Core P3  Storage SSD Boot plus Samsung 960 Evo M.2 nvme storage 

PSU Corsair RM750W Gold Display Asus ROG Strix XG32VQ 144Hz 1440p Cooling Corsair H100i V2 

Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK FX Mouse Roccat Kone Aimo Audio MK3 Fostex T50RP + Schiit Magni 3 AMP and Modi 2 DAC 
Operating System Win 10

VR HTC Vive, Audio Strap Motion Platform DOF Reality 2 DOF

I thought about that as I was going to bed.  Were you happy with the AKGs?  Massdrop has a version called the AKG K7XX for $200.

10 hours ago, Draeft-Lore said:

I thought about that as I was going to bed.  Were you happy with the AKGs?  Massdrop has a version called the AKG K7XX for $200.

Yes against my previous Sennheiser PC360 headset the AKG K612 Pro is fantastic. I would happily use them forever.

My only reason to move to the Fostex and amp solution is to see what the apparent best imaging solution will do for my audio FPS gaming life, as recommended by this forum's @Max_Settings, also i'm interested to hear what planar magnetic technology does.

CPU Intel i7 8700K @5Ghz Motherboard ROG Maximus Hero 10 RAM Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz 

GPU MSI Gaming X 1080ti Case Thermaltake Core P3  Storage SSD Boot plus Samsung 960 Evo M.2 nvme storage 

PSU Corsair RM750W Gold Display Asus ROG Strix XG32VQ 144Hz 1440p Cooling Corsair H100i V2 

Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK FX Mouse Roccat Kone Aimo Audio MK3 Fostex T50RP + Schiit Magni 3 AMP and Modi 2 DAC 
Operating System Win 10

VR HTC Vive, Audio Strap Motion Platform DOF Reality 2 DOF

Don’t get the Elex. They aren’t very good headphones for the price. What’s your budget for the whole setup?

I would like to keep It as small as possible because i need to stack buying this stuff on top of a $1400ish PC.  So I would like to have the entire sound system for around or under $600.

Ok. So would say this is a decent set up for both gaming and high quality .WAV music.

Headset: Massdrop x AKG K7XX - $200
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/akg-k7xx-massdrop-first-edition-headphones

USB Desktop DAC and AMP: Creative Labs Sound blaster X7 Limited Edition - $500
https://us.creative.com/p/amplifiers/sound-blaster-x7

Its a total of $700 which is more than I said but $100 over isn't too much for me to be worried.

I have a few suggestions. The hd6xx instead of the elex, because the higher impedance means you have a better damping factor and less crosstalk. When you configure your o2, get the 1x gain option, as the 2.5x is probably going to be too loud.

And maybe a desk microphone like a blue snowball instead of an attached one, just for convenience.

Just touched up the post to reflect the changes and newer inquiries.

26 minutes ago, Draeft-Lore said:

Just touched up the post to reflect the changes and newer inquiries.

Don't get the X7 it is not very good. There are much better options. Something like a Schiit Jotunheim for example. Also if you are interested in learning about 4 of the Massdrop headphones, the HD6XX, K7XX, HE-4XX, and T-X0, check out my review.

Ok I have selected the headset based off your review the HE-4XX will be the most useful for the games I play.  I do have some room on my desk to stack a schiit Magni 3 and Modi 2.  Would those be a good choice.  If need be I can get a photo to show what Im dealing with in terms of space.

5 hours ago, Draeft-Lore said:

Ok I have selected the headset based off your review the HE-4XX will be the most useful for the games I play.  I do have some room on my desk to stack a schiit Magni 3 and Modi 2.  Would those be a good choice.  If need be I can get a photo to show what Im dealing with in terms of space.

The modi 2 got a negative review on audiosciencereview. You might want to stick with the sdac as the dac.

38 minutes ago, an actual squirrel said:

The modi 2 got a negative review on audiosciencereview. You might want to stick with the sdac as the dac.

The stack will be a good choice. The SDAC has only ever dropped once and there are 498 in existence (I have one) I don’t know if it will ever drop again.

But if you have more budget, the 4XX is not the best gaming headphones there are. If you have $700 to spend on something like the Elex or even like $500, there are much better gaming headphones.

22 hours ago, Max_Settings said:

But if you have more budget, the 4XX is not the best gaming headphones there are. If you have $700 to spend on something like the Elex or even like $500, there are much better gaming headphones.

If I'm spending $200 on a stack, and $55 on the attachable mic, I have $500 left to use per my audio set up budget.  What would you say is the best gaming headset that you would also recommend for music listening for someone with $500 in budget to do so?

15 minutes ago, Draeft-Lore said:

If I'm spending $200 on a stack, and $55 on the attachable mic, I have $500 left to use per my audio set up budget.  What would you say is the best gaming headset that you would also recommend for music listening for someone with $500 in budget to do so?

Audio Technica A1000Z is very good.

Ok if I were to cut out the DAC/AMP for a pair of Audio Technica ATH-DSR9BT for a headset for usb use and bluetooth while I'm out and about?  its $550 for just the headset but i'm not sure how good these are.  They were my original choice, but some of my friends talked me out of it because of the cost.  They can't justify high costing headphones where I don't care

• 1 year later...

hi not entirely sure if anyone is still looking at this thread but i was wondering does any of yous know if the sound blaster x7 would run/push the argon mk3s because i know they're rather hard to run.