Overclocking monitor's refresh rate

simple115

Hello, i have normal samsung monitor (1080p60hz), but it supports 75hz on 4:3 resolutions. I'm wondering. becauce I saw that if the monitor supports that frequency, it can support it on the native res.

I tried to oc it and its working (1080p75hz). Is this theory true, and if yes it's safe to use the oc? If not is it dangerous do use the oc'd hz?

Overclocking your monitor will decrease its lifespan and some monitors overclock more than others. So to answer your question, if safe means that it will work, then yes it is safe to use the oc. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

2 minutes ago, Rasbir Singh said:

Overclocking your monitor will decrease its lifespan and some monitors overclock more than others. So to answer your question, if safe means that it will work, then yes it is safe to use the oc. 

I tried to oc it because this refresh rate is supported on other res (like i mentioned). Maybe I'll not use the oc because i have bad experience with samsung monitors

2 minutes ago, Qucd said:

i have bad experience with samsung monitors

This doesn't mean that it isn't good at overclocking. My samsung 60hz monitor overclocks fine to 75hz however I keep it at 70hz because colours start to get messed up for some reason as I increase the refresh rate. I suggest you run it at native resolution at 70hz like me if you want a good gaming experience and you're precautious. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

1 minute ago, Rasbir Singh said:

This doesn't mean that it isn't good at overclocking. My samsung 60hz monitor overclocks fine to 75hz however I keep it at 70hz because colours start to get messed up for some reason as I increase the refresh rate. I suggest you run it at native resolution at 70hz like me if you want a good gaming experience and you're precautious. 

It's still under warranty and if something happens im gonna return it.

It's uncharted territory and no one can tell you if it's safe or not. It might blow up in your face the second you try it, or it might be perfectly happy to run at that overclock for years. My shitter Korean 1440p monitor has been running just fine with a 50Hz+ overclock for the last four years and still works just as good as the day I bought it. 

In general don't overclock something if you aren't willing to replace it.

7 hours ago, Guanzo said:

This video will help you. 

Wow thanks, that frame skipping test was really helpful :) My monitor is not skipping frames on 75hz, so I think that it's stable.